This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED)Adding f.lux app to Zorin

mdiemer

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11:30 pm

How can I add the monitor app "f.lux" to Zorin? (It controls the light coming from LED monitors so that it is safer for your eyes). Here is what I have done so far:

Adding this PPA to your system
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/flux to your system's Software Sources. (Read about installing)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/flux
sudo apt-get update

Above instructions are for Ubuntu/Debian, not sure if they will work for Zorin. There is also a terminal method, but I haven't tried it yet as it's pretty complicated.

I'm stuck at what to do next. Can't find it in Software Center. I tried the apt-get install command, but Zorin couldn't find f.lux.

mdiemer

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:12:38 am

(Solved) I did try the manual method via the terminal, and it worked.
This is a really cool app, it changes the lighting on your monitor once the sun goes down, so that the bright blues are washed out, and you have a cool yellowish tint. This is great for LED monitors, which may be harmful to the eyes.

If you're interested:

https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui

Just follow the instructions for the manual install, copying and pasting them into terminal. It will ask you for your zip code, and then you will see the difference if it is night! Otherwise, wait till the sum goes down.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49:09 pm

Great work! ;) :D