This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOS12(core) takes 2minutes to boot...

abctmp88

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:31:31 am

Dear all,

it is found that it takes 2 minutes for ZorinOS12(core) to boot into its login screen
-> is it normal?
-> or have I doing something wrong?

* My Hardware:
# AsRock J3160-ITX, 8GB RAM, 120-SSD
# I have also installed ZorinOS12 into my home computer which is i3-2100T, DH67CF, mainboard with 4GB RAM, and 120GB-SSD, but the same results

# in both cases, the 120G-SSD has the following partitions:
-- boot partition: 250MB, Grub2, ext4
-- root partition: 109GB, btrfs
-- linux-swap: 2GB

Am I the only one having these super long boot time?
or it is common to all?

I was also tried ZorinOS11(core) and it is fast to boot!

Can some guru give some hints to improve?

Thanks for any kinds of help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41:40 pm

I can tell you in respect of i3 machines they are pig slow - I have a dual boot non networked Samsung Notebook - to me i3 is the latest generation of 'Celeron' processors - they just don't have the muscle of an i5. I was a bit bemused as to why you have a partition formatted to btrfs. SSD's at one point were advised to format to ext2 format as journaling ext3 and ext4 will shorten the life of an SSD due to the journaling writes to the drive. I don't posess any machines with SSD in as not sure how I would go about preparing such a device - that is a skill I am lacking. ;) :D

Take a look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

MBMz10

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:44:43 am

If you used a USB (2.0 or 3.0?) to install Zorin how long does that take to get to the live desktop, even a DVD for that matter?
My old Core 2 Duo CPU running @ 3.0Ghz with 4GB RAM and a spinning HDD will boot most Distros under 1 minute and with an SSD around 15 seconds for a fresh install of most Ubuntu DIstros using ext4 file system.
I read this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ext4-btrfs ... tch-linux/ and the author mentions about btrfs being a little slugish near the end of the article but 2 minutes seems plain old slow to me.
If Zorin 11 was fast and Zorin 12 is slow what difference in the way you installed them? I didn't notice a difference between Zorin 11 and 12 on any of my hardware!
Was it always this slow even when you first installed it?

abctmp88

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:05:47 am

Thanks MBMz10 for your info!

I believe the main reasons is btrfs
as I used ext4 when trying ZorinOS11
-> will get back when I have verified this.

I will also test the boot time for Live USB of ZorinOS12.

abctmp88

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:09:58 am

By the way,

Can I simply use GParted to convert btrfs to ext4 directly?
or must I re-install ZorinOS12?

MBMz10

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:36:09 am

I wouldn't think so regarding converting, think you'll have to reinstall at a guess, but see what options you can find. Maybe you can back up your data, settings and so on from the btrfs system and restore them to the ext4 system.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44:03 pm

To convert a file system usually means formatting the drive/partition. ;)