This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 does not apply custom resolutions

MSXManiac

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:02:11 pm

Well, first of all make it clear that I have used Zorin since version 9 and I have always been able to apply custom resolutions to the machine in question.
It is a notebook with a 2nd generation i3 that when at home (almost all the time) is connected to an AOC TV / display via HDMI connector.
By default not all resolutions are recognized because they are not listed in the TV / display firmware table that is passed via EDID.
I have had success up to Zorin 11 with a script that automated the process of adding these resolutions but has no effect on version 12.
After many attempts and taking into account that my installation has some customizations, I decided that it would be fairer to try a test in a live session of Zorin 12.
For comparison purposes I did the same in a live session of Ubuntu 16.04 which I assume to be the basis of Zorin 12, both on my machine with the external display connected via HDMI.
To perform this test, in both environments I turn off the use of the integrated display and the default resolution on the external display in both is 1360x768x60.
The test is basically the following sequence of commands in a terminal:

zorin @ zorin: ~ $ cvt 1440 900 60
# 1440x900 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.30MA) hsync: 55.93 kHz; Pclk: 106.50 MHz
Modeline "1440x900_60.00" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
zorin @ zorin: ~ $ xrandr --newmode "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
zorin @ zorin: ~ $ xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1440x900
zorin @ zorin: ~ $ xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1440x900 --rate 60

The two differences between the version in Zorin and Ubuntu are:

1 - In Ubuntu you use HDMI-1 instead of HDMI1 in Zorin
2 - In Ubuntu the new resolution is applied, in Zorin remains the previous resolution

Now I pass the ball to Artyom Zorin or to others who can solve this bug.

If up to version 11 of Zorin applying custom resolutions worked normally and in the base version of Zorin 12 that is Ubuntu 16.04 did it, why in Zorin 12 does not work to apply custom resolutions?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24:45 pm

Hi, What you have to remember is that Ubuntu uses Unity DE, Zorin 12 uses Gnome Shell. Now I posted details of an extension in respect of multi-monitor settings whether there is one for a setup like yours I will have to investigate - back soon! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:27:40 pm

Here you go:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... e-manager/

Please note that if you don't see 'Extensions' in the left panel of 'Tweak Tool' (gnome-tweak-tool) which you have to install separately as it does not come with Zorin, and you may need to also install 'Gnome' (full) to get Extensions showing in Tweak Tool - then go to the link above. ;) :D

MSXManiac

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:38:33 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Here you go:

Please note that if you don't see 'Extensions' in the left panel of 'Tweak Tool' (gnome-tweak-tool) which you have to install separately as it does not come with Zorin, and you may need to also install 'Gnome' (full) to get Extensions showing in Tweak Tool - then go to the link above. ;) :D

Ok. I really tested in a Gnome Ubuntu version 16.04 and doesn't work too.
This something related to Gnome.
In Ubuntu-Gnome 16.04 I tried install this extension but after installed not appear in the extensions list installed on Gnome-Tweak-Tool
I even maybe try to do this in Zorin, but with the bad result so far in Ubuntu-GNOME 16.04, since it depends on an extension that for some reason does not appear in the Gnome-Tweak-Tool, I find myself in a dead end.
At least we are sure to be something related to GNOME itself, even if it is only in the implementation of it done in Ubuntu, but it is something that the staff can focus on.
I see it as a major flaw as it can bring headaches to many users and regardless of whether the GNOME project staff or even Ubuntu-GNOME is looking for a solution.
The way is to cheer for those who have more knowledge and tools to investigate can take the first step.
I'm in the crowd waiting for good news.

MSXManiac

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52:15 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Here you go:

Breaking news....

I ran a live Ubuntu-GNOME 16.10 session and the custom resolution was applied and worked ....

Hopes for Zorin 12

The problem is figuring out which component to upgrade .....
And if it is possible to update it without interfering with the rest of the system .....

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49:36 pm

I would wait for a feed through from Zorin updates. They have now fixed the desktop shortcut issue according to other posters - again, bear in mind Zorin comprises the two Zorin brothers and 2 devs.

The attached link (I know its multi monitors and not what you are after):

https://www.maketecheasier.com/extend-g ... -monitors/

In the link they installed the extension from git hub first then installed gnome-tweak-tool (Tweak Tool) AFTER installing the extension. ;) :D