This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help with new install please

snydley100

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54:13 pm

I've alway just installed Zorin to the / directory when prompted in the install process. I've read,(on here most likely), that you can split the install into different directories, / , /boot, and /home. What is the advantage of this? Will it run any better/faster this way? If so, how is that done? Do I select the "something else" install, and when asked where I want it installed, select /, then ok, then /boot, and finally /home? I've never done it this way and am pretty much clueless. Once you create the directories does the install just automatically find these directories and install the appropriate files in each directories? When asked where to install the boot files do you just type in /boot? I only have 1 drive, an SDD on my laptop, set up as a legacy drive, dual booting with Windows 7, a recovery partition, and another small partition that was set up by the factory.
I just bought Zorin 12 Ultimate today and would like to set it up the best way possible this time.
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58:47 pm

Hi, depends on how much space you have for starters. As madvinegar wrote elsewhere, you don't have to split /, /home from each other. I only ever used /boot twice - once on an EEEpc that had a miniscule 10 Gb SSD with 3.6 GB for the WinXP and 6.4Gb for the data - had to put boot on the 3.6 to point to '/' on the 6.4 - Windows would not let you install to 6.4 bit. The other was to fit alongside Windows 10. If ever you decide to ditch windows and just have Linux and you decide to have 2 GNU/Linux OS's you are better allowing for auto install as splitting partitions causes issues (as I have come to discover running Makulu Linux on one bit of a drive and Deepin Linux elsewhere.)
As a guide look at my tutorial video - you really need to use EasyBCD from NeoSmart to maintain your Windows mbr to reduce least issues for Windows:

https://vimeo.com/110085401