This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved) More Backups grief

Finston Pickle

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:02:04 am

Having recently restored Zorin 9 and Zorin 12 to my two laptops, I have been taking backups as I restore features and add features. I had an issue with my Zorin 9 backup, now resolved, but have now got an issue with my Zorin 12 Ultimate backup. I used Ctrl H before each back up - this is when the home/.opera type files appear - can someone confirm this is what I should be seeing, please? I'm sure here used to be a "show hidden files" in the nautilus settings, drop down box, for Zorin 9 - it seems to have disappeared with time and you are left wondering if you are showing the hidden files or not.

My first restore on the Zorin 12 installation went perfectly. I did some minor adjustments - things like installing MSfonts and refreshing the cache, installed a few different icons, installed a home/.opera file from my Zorin 9 machine into Zorin 12 home, installed some home/.config files for Bombono DVD, Brasero, Flavio Tordini, Google Chrome, Midori, Opera, Spotify and VLC from my Zorin 9 machine into Zorin 12 home/.config and installed AppGrid. Nothing to to write home about, you would think.

I powered off the Zorin 12 machine - it seemed like a good idea to get things settled after a restart, did a Ctrl H and did a backup. All went well, but the notification said can not open home/.cache/dconf or home/dbus check you have the permissions to open these files. Is this significant and how do I change the permissions - they are red crosses showing - and what do I change the permissions to?

qnarkill

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:44:06 pm

You need to update the owner and group for each file which is failing to backup.
Then run the backup again, which should now complete successfully.

I did not catch exactly what you meant with the ctrl + h but so you think the show hidden files setting is lost from latest nautilus or what?
http://imgur.com/VcsEtv2
In mine its like in this pic.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12:17 am

Finston Pickle

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:44:36 am

Thanks for both updates

Qnarkill, you said "You need to update the owner and group for each file which is failing to backup".

This causes me a problem. When I have used gksudo nautilus to get some muscle in revising permission, when it comes to selecting the Owner, Group and Others, I get confused due to general lack of explanation implicit in the O/S

What should I use? Looking at other folders, I can see owners of root, Me, ubuntu (the name I put in for something in the early days of the installation - was it the username, workgroup - it was never clear, I just kept putting in ubuntu when asked for a name). It would be useful to me if I could see somewhere what the various usernames, workgroup etc. actually are as far as the machine is concerned.

What should I use for owner and group and what actual powers should I give owner, group and others for the folder to be included in the backup.

However, it seems as though I do not need to backup home/.cache/dconf anyway, what about or home/dbus?

The dropdown showing "show hidden files" is there again in my Zorin 9 machine (and ticked, I wonder if it reappeared because I did a CTRL +H). I wonder if it is now there on my Zorin 12 machine (having done a CTRL +H on that machine also? - I will have a look.

Thanks again for your help - as ever much appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:16:19 pm

More interesting info in relation to those files in 14.04 (=Zorin 9) here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/487362/b ... untu-14-04

Finston Pickle

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35:56 pm

Thanks, Swarf - I guess I can use that workaround in future.