This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is enabling wireless a big secret?

bikeman

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59:39 pm

I've just booted form a usb stick to try out Zorin.

I am disappointed that I've had to go back to windows to post this because there was no obvious way in Zorin to connect to wifi. Why no icon in the task bar?, why nothing in network settings? Really if you want windows users to use Zorin you need to make the basics more obvious.

How do I setup wifi?

On a separate note I would search and find the answer but your forum doesn't allow searching for terms that produce too numerous results like 'wireless' or 'wifi' which suggest that perhaps problems with wifi are very common.

Yes I am annoyed.

blvkoblsk

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24:34 am

I'm sure you've looked, however, the graphical version to setup WIFI is taskbar / bitbar - (Z) logo > Settings > Network - If it is not listed, then click on the + to add it.

From the command line, check: ifconfig

However, if you're not able to get it setup from the GUI, you can also take a look in terminal to see if it's enabled (nmcli should already be installed):

nmcli g

There are numerous ways to check to make sure your network settings are working and setup correctly. Such as, wicd-curses.

I hope this helps.

qnarkill

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22:22 pm

Well there might be several reason for that. Sounds to me that your network card isnt working out of the box.
What does
Code:
sudo rfkill list

and
Code:
sudo lshw -C network

output?