This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Menu - Item "Software" is empty

Den Hook

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29:10 pm

Since a few weeks, it seems to me that my menu-item " Software" doesn't function as i remember.

So when I choose for the Z-button (left-bottom) and then choose "Software", you start a nice tool "Software 3.20.1" as a part of Zorin OS. This tool is made by Richard Hughes and Matthias Clasen.

In the first screen, you see in the top 3 options: All - Installed - Updates.

When i choose for All and for Installed, my screen is empty (see screenshot) :o

When I choose for Update, the system checks if I need to install updates. Usually two or three times a week, there is an update to download and install. Lately there is no update needed, which surprises me.

Do I have to reinstall this tool ? And if so, how to do that ?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:32:08 pm

Hi, Please open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) or Menu | Utilitities | Terminal and install Synaptic Package Manager by entering the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

You will be asked for your login password - be sure to type it correctly as you will not see circles or anything else (security measure built in to system to stop prying eyes).

You will be advised of package to be installed and space from hard drive that will be used - reply with 'Y'.

Once installed (keep the terminal open) and enter 'sudo synaptic' - you are already elevated as 'root' so you won't be asked for your password again.

Now search for the following packages by selecting the search filter button in middle of synaptic near top and search for each of the following packages:

appstream

gnome-software

gnome-software-common

libsnapd-glib1

right-click the box to the left of each of these packages and select 'mark for reinstallation' and then click on Apply.

After this has completed, close synaptic (package manager)

Next, select Menu | System Tools | Software Updater - and when 'stop' button appears, click on it and wait until you see 'Settings' button appear - click on that, go to first tab and change your current source server to 'Main Server'. This will reload the Software Updater with all available updates to Zorin - click on update - wait for all packages to download and install and you will then be asked to restart your computer - your Software Centre/er should now be working properly. ;) :D

(Acknowledgements to Artyom Zorin)

Den Hook

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:39:02 pm

I've followed the instructions and it seemed to go wright.

Until the last steps, then I've got this message, about a bad internet connection (see screen shot). A strange message because all the time my browser worked all right.

At last, my screens about Installed software etc. are still empty.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18:47 pm

Can you change your Software Updater to Main Server for downloading updates?

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54:36 pm

Hi, I am assuming you are still running Zorin 12 - can you perform an update as described here:

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/02/27/z ... -released/

briefly:

Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

and if still issues, follow my advise earlier. ;) :D