This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 Ultimate can't shutdown

Regemaster

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06:18 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Linux. I have installed Zorin OS 12 Ultimate on my Asus ROG GL552VW-XO169D and now I have few problems, but now I'm going to focus on (what I think) biggest issue:

My computer Hangs while shutting down on "Zorin OS" splash screen (the big Z logo).

I know I should give some logs or something like that, but I don't know where should I find it.
I'll appreciate every help from you :)

My Laptop configuration:
  • Nvidia Drivers downloaded through Additional Drivers.
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2 and Intel® HD Graphics 530
  • MEM: 16GB

EDIT: Im adding photo of screen while hangs (linux run without "quiet splash" option in grub)
https://ibb.co/jORaYv

I make some research and I find out that my Laptop shutdown normaly when run on GeForce, but hangs on intel 530. I found this and Mint supposed to working without problems with Skylike series processors. Is there a possibility to do something similar for Zorin to make it shutdown correctly?

Xarius

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27:49 pm

Let's try the following to make sure your system is up to date.

Code:
Control+Alt+F1

Login using your username and password at the terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

*You will need to enter your password again here.

If updated packages are available, enter "y" and enter.
Wait for the packages to download and install.

Once this is done, restart your system using the following command:

Code:
sudo shutdown -r now

*You will need to enter your password here as well.

Note that when entering your password, no symbols will be shown. Type in your password and press enter.

Hopefully a simple update to the latest packages will solve your problem.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:07:45 pm

Save yourself some grief and remove nVidia drivers. ;) :D

Regemaster

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:23:57 pm

Sorry for late answer.
I did what you said Xarius, but it didn't helped. It's the same as it was before.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Save yourself some grief and remove nVidia drivers. ;) :D

Swarfendor437, why should I remove nVidia Drivers? My Laptop work correctly while is on GeForce, it's hangs while it's on Intel.

qnarkill

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47:27 pm

Xarius

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:52:47 pm

Regemaster wrote:Sorry for late answer.
I did what you said Xarius, but it didn't helped. It's the same as it was before.

Swarfendor437, why should I remove nVidia Drivers? My Laptop work correctly while is on GeForce, it's hangs while it's on Intel.

Sorry that didn't work. I have an Nvidia card as well, and the default available 375 driver caused weird issues for me. I am currently running the 378.13 driver, and that works much better. It's something you might be able to try, and you can always switch back to the 375 driver if it works better for you.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then open "Additional Drivers" and switch to the newer 378 driver.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30:47 pm

Regemaster wrote:Sorry for late answer.

I have an nVidia card and don't use proprietary drivers - it's not just a Free Software Stance I am taking (but I do agree with Free Software Stance/s!) I find my experience is far better using the Nouveau drivers. :D

Regemaster

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I have an nVidia card and don't use proprietary drivers - it's not just a Free Software Stance I am taking (but I do agree with Free Software Stance/s!) I find my experience is far better using the Nouveau drivers. :D

I can't use nouveau, because everything freez ale startup ;P

Xarius wrote:Sorry that didn't work. I have an Nvidia card as well, and the default available 375 driver caused weird issues for me. I am currently running the 378.13 driver, and that works much better. It's something you might be able to try, and you can always switch back to the 375 driver if it works better for you.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then open "Additional Drivers" and switch to the newer 378 driver.

I did it at the very beginig ;)

qnarkill wrote:http://askubuntu.com/questions/831928/edited-to-shutdown-hangs-on-intel-grapics-on-16-04-with-4-7-2-kernel
have you tried this..?

I will try it in next week, right now I don't have time to make os reinstall, but Thank you, I hope it will help :)
I'll let you know when I do it :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:06:13 pm

When you start up next, press the left shift key to see GRUB menu and press 'e' for edit boot command and then press space bar for space then add 'nomodeset' space 'xforcevesa' and see if it still freezes without nvidia drivers. ;) :D

Regemaster

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39:40 pm

qnarkill wrote:http://askubuntu.com/questions/831928/edited-to-shutdown-hangs-on-intel-grapics-on-16-04-with-4-7-2-kernel
have you tried this..?

I couldnt log in to system after step 6, system only said "session could not start" or sth like that...

Swarfendor437 wrote:When you start up next, press the left shift key to see GRUB menu and press 'e' for edit boot command and then press space bar for space then add 'nomodeset' space 'xforcevesa' and see if it still freezes without nvidia drivers. ;) :D

I can shutdown my laptop normaly :D
So you'r saying that I should remove nvidia?

Edit:
Guys, problem disappeared. What I did? I add m.2 disk and reinstalled system without SWAP. System is on m.2 disk, and home on hdd.
Maybe swap somehow blocked intel graphic card...
Anyway, thanks for your help :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04:49 pm

Give it a try if you can! ;) :D

Regemaster

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46:34 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Give it a try if you can! ;) :D

To be honest I dont know what to do... all I know is when I want to run my laptop without Nvidia drivers I need to type in grub "nouveau.modeset=0" or "nomodeset"... here my knowledge about nouveau is over...

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31:10 pm

Go to Additional Drivers and Nouveau will be unchecked (Software Updates | Settings Button | last Tab) ;) :D

Regemaster

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31:17 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Go to Additional Drivers and Nouveau will be unchecked (Software Updates | Settings Button | last Tab) ;) :D

I gave it a chance, but system hangs at startup splash screen...

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:00:20 pm

Did you launch GRUB with left shift key at boot or does that get messed up? Press E once GRUB loads then edit the boot line with spacebar acpi=off spacebar nomodeset spacebar xforcevesa and see if things are still a mess. ;) :D

Regemaster

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39:45 pm

Because everything was working I wanted to delete windows 10 and to leave only zorin, with os on m.2 disk and /home on hdd.
I formated both disks, installed zorins and... all broke up...
Grub is "blank" - when grub is loading all screen is black and cant do anything
Zorin, when run on Intel 530, is NOT shutting down
I tryed to reinstall grub thru liveStick (live usb?), but it didnt helped, reinstall Zorin didnt helped.
I even tryed to install Ubuntu, but it's all the same...
I tryed install grub on m.2 and on hdd... all the same
I don't have other ideas, anyone know how to resolv that problem?

qnarkill

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:09:16 pm

When your at black screen and can't assumingly login. Can you press ctrl+alt+f1 and see if you can login to console?
If you can, login and do lshw -c video to see which driver you have installed. Lets start from that.

You could then check this out to install the nvidia driver and intel.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-16-04/

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:12:33 pm

Regemaster wrote:Because everything was working I wanted to delete windows 10 and to leave only zorin, with os on m.2 disk and /home on hdd.
I formated both disks, installed zorins and... all broke up...
Grub is "blank" - when grub is loading all screen is black and cant do anything
Zorin, when run on Intel 530, is NOT shutting down
I tryed to reinstall grub thru liveStick (live usb?), but it didnt helped, reinstall Zorin didnt helped.
I even tryed to install Ubuntu, but it's all the same...
I tryed install grub on m.2 and on hdd... all the same
I don't have other ideas, anyone know how to resolv that problem?

See topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12797

Regemaster

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:16:28 am

qnarkill wrote:When your at black screen and can't assumingly login. Can you press ctrl+alt+f1 and see if you can login to console?
If you can, login and do lshw -c video to see which driver you have installed. Lets start from that.
You could then check this out to install the nvidia driver and intel.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-16-04/

Laptop is turning on, but grub was blank/black. "Swarfendor437" answer make all clear, Thank you :)

"lshw -c video"
on Intel 530 make PC hangs,
on GeForce gtx960m:
Code:
  *-display               
       description: 3D controller
       product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a2
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:132 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 06
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:129 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

I also tryed to run Linux with nouveau drivers with "acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa", but it didn't help.
acpi=off make my touchpad not working,
nomodeset xforcevesa make Ubuntu run really slow (in the evening I'll install back Zorin, now I can't do that)...
So I back to Nvidia drivers.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07:18 pm

OK, Happy for me to mark this thread as [CLOSED]? ;) :D