This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wired connection not working

xForcer

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18:58 am

Hi everyone

I just installed my first ever Linux OS, but damn my luck...
The wired connection isn't working. I think it's not obtaining the IPv4 adress.
I tried many terminal commands and none of them helped.

What can I do to solve this issue? I really want to use Zorin OS. It looks very cool and I hope it will be a replacement for my Win 7.

Hardware info:

i5 4460
ASRock H97 Pro 4
GTX 560 Ti
8 GB DDR3 RAM

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01:47 pm

Interesting thread here on similar issue:

https://forum.z.cash/t/problem-with-asr ... 6-04/12489

xForcer

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Interesting thread here on similar issue:

https://forum.z.cash/t/problem-with-asr ... 6-04/12489

So the solution would be renaming the name found in /etc/network/interfaces to the one found in ifconfig. I already tried that I think, but I'll try one more time

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24:45 pm

Hi, should have looked more closely - ifconfig does not appear to work on distros using Gnome Shell there is a long way round of getting the information - will check later.

xForcer

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38:41 pm

Any news? I get two entries in ifconfig.
First one is enp0s25 and the second one is lo

In interface it was set like this.

Auto lo
Iface lo inet loopback

It still didnt work when I changed the name to enp0s25

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08:56 pm

xForcer

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:See if this helps?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/783457/ ... temd-fails

Many of that doesn't apply anymore or it's not working for me.

I will delete and reinstall Zorin OS one more time and then just record the screen so you can see how it looks.
Tell me the things most important that I should record so you can give me further help

Thank you!

qnarkill

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25:53 pm

Could you edit the interfaces once more and add in it assuming the interface that you want dhcp is enp0s25 (if it isnt change that to the commands below instead of enp0s25).
Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

auto enp0s25
iface enp0s25 inet dhcp

save (press ctrl+0) and exit (press ctrl+x)

Code:
sudo systemctl restart networking.service

Restart networking or reboot.

Hopefully you'll be scannin the web through the wire soon.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:13:34 am

Thanks again for your input qnarkill it is much appreciated. ;) :D

xForcer

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14:28 pm

Hey

So what I did last night was completely delete hard drive volumes and make a clean install. In the end, it's all working fine!

Here are the steps I made:

- Reboot from windows into bios. From there I selected boot priority and saved and exit the bios. (Used legacy USB boot option)
- Zorin installation came up and I stopped at "install now" when choosing partition. I decided to plug the power out so the computer parts are fully reset ( I did this because I read somewhere that the network card integrated in my motherboard saves some numbers from the last OS used)
- I then gone into bios one more time and this time chose UEFI boot installation option. Don't know why I did this, but I wanted to make a change this time around ( Please note that I chose "go back" option when prompted to Force UEFI when installing Zorin. It has do with booting existing OS I think)
- I went into the installation and I remember last 2 times when I wanted to tick that tickbox for "download updates while installing" it was greyed out. This time, I could tick it
- Installation finished and I restarted.
- Everything is working and the internet is fine

One thing I noticed is I often have this hang/freeze where I can't click on anything and after some time I get an animation of desktop transition. After that, it's working. Kinda like ending Desktop Window Manager on Windows.
I am using Nvidia binary driver. I installed it from "additional drivers" section.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40:39 pm

Hi, try using nouveau driver instead, nvidia drivers ruined my Zorin experience so will never use on GNU/Linux.

xForcer

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, try using nouveau driver instead, nvidia drivers ruined my Zorin experience so will never use on GNU/Linux.

I am currently using Nvidia drivers. I've been digging around the internet and found out that nouveau drivers aren't that good for gaming. Gaming is one thing I want to do on Linux as I heard it's actually better for games I often play

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12:56 pm

I've been playing Homeworld on Zorin 12.1 without any issues under .wine. ;) :D

xForcer

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I've been playing Homeworld on Zorin 12.1 without any issues under .wine. ;) :D

Hehe I am more about games like 7 Days to Die and GTA V. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:47:56 pm

I'll have to get Black Hawk Down installed again! :D

I must admit at the moment I'm an addict of Blacklight Retribrution on PS4 8-)