This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Software Centre still won't work

snydley100

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16:35 pm

I still can't get the Software Center to work in Zorin Ultimate 12.1 64bit.
I'm running it on an Alienware 14 laptop with 16G memory and a 240G SSD drive.
I followed Sarfendor's suggestions with Synaptic, and when I get to the reinstalling gnome-software step I get a bunch of errors:

W: Target Packages (universe/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (restricted/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52

And Software Centre isn't repaired
I've tried the Synaptic reinstall tip 3 times now, same results.
I've been using Synaptic to add/remove software, and that works fine, but I would rather use the Software Center,

Does anyone know how to fix this? I will re-install Zorin12 if necessary, but would rather not if I don't have to.
I tried Zorin12 Core before I bought Ultimate and the Software Center worked great in Core.
I've been running Zorin since either ver. 6 or 7, and Software Centre has always worked. The last version I was using was 9 Ultimate. I bought that when it first came out, just like 12.
Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to have all the details.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Snyde

qnarkill

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43:23 pm

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27:17 pm

Thanks qnarkill, Think I discovered this a week ago and totally forgot about it. 60 blue jewels to you sir - hop the situ gets resolved with the OP. ;) :D

snydley100

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:41:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Thanks qnarkill, Think I discovered this a week ago and totally forgot about it. 60 blue jewels to you sir - hop the situ gets resolved with the OP. ;) :D

I looked at the Python script:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/760896/h ... iple-times

and after reading the page, I entered this in a terminal:

"sudo apt-get install python3-apt"
and got this back:

"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python3-apt is already the newest version (1.1.0~beta1build1+zorin2).
python3-apt set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

So I assume from that, that the python3-apt package is installed, I just have to run the script, but I know nothing about Python or how to use it. How do I use the script? I copied the script from the website and saved it as a text file on my desktop so I have access to it when I get any replies to this.

I really like Zorin 12 Ultimate, it looks nicer, and seems faster than Zorin 9 Ultimate, and I seem to have everything working well, (everything I use it for anyway), except for the Software Centre. I am an intermediate level LInux user, and can "get around" in it for the most part, but things like this are just a bit over my head, at this point.
Thanks for any help offered,
Snyde

snydley100

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:13:31 pm

After deciding to go ahead and try to run the Python script to clean out my multiple entries in sources.list. I copied the earlier mentioned Python script to myscript.py
and thanks to a Python tutorial on youtube, I entered this in the terminal:

cd Desktop (where the myscript.py is stored)
chmod +x myscript.py
./myscript.py

the terminal returned "No duplicated entries were found"
I figured from that, that it didn't work, but I decided to try running the Software Centre anyway,
AND IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!!!
I guess the terminal was telling me that there are no longer duplicate entries because it cleaned them from sources.list?
Thanks to everyone that helped me!!
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:00:48 pm

Hi snydley, glad you are sorted - had to truncate your original Post to mark [RESOLVED]. ;) :D