This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install latest Opera browser on Zorin 9

kengator

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02:20 am

Hi guys,

It's been a while since my last post. Actually that's a good thing; Zorin has been awesome! I wanted to ask for help regarding linux web browsers and, specifically, Opera. My PC is a family PC and my wife prefers Chrome (I prefer Firefox). Since the linux version of Chrome is no longer supported, she's looking for a new browser. Security is her main concern followed closely by multimedia out of the box. I downloaded Opera from the Software Center (I'm currently using Zorin OS 9) and it appears to work fine. However, there seems to be a newer version on the Opera homepage, one which includes features like VPN. So, I have two questions for the experts:
1. What are your thoughts on Opera and is there something better out there such as Chromium?
2. Should I download Opera from the homepage versus the Software Center? If I do, is there a bunch of stuff that I have to worry about like setting up repositories, etc.

Thank you in advance for the help. You guys are great!

Best regards,

kengator

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45:44 am

Vivaldi is quite good but not so good when it comes to YouTube. Opera was always one of my favourites but Firefox is back at number one for me with 'Hotspot Shield' (which is an extension/addon you have to install after installing the browser) to truly access the web in all areas. ;) :D

To install Opera just go to the Opera website - from memory it should pickup what type of OS you have or it is a 'multiarch' .deb file for both 32- and 65-bit OS's. Use Gdebi Package Installer to install - let me know if you don't have it. Gdebi will inform you whether you can install it or whether there are any missing dependencies. If you use Zorin Software to install it then you might get a message saying an older package is present. That said Opera is a third party 'closed source' browser - there was a community version of Opera being developed, Otter - but it would not install correctly - think the person behind it could not script correctly or it was for other GNU/Linux distros that use the 'cmake' command etcetera. ;) :D

kengator

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02:40 am

Thank you for the info Swarfender. I don't have Gdebi but it's easy enough to install from Software Center. I think that the wife is leaning towards Chromium but I'll recommend that she try Vivaldi; it's always good to have options :-)

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:15:40 pm

kengator wrote:Thank you for the info Swarfender. I don't have Gdebi but it's easy enough to install from Software Center. I think that the wife is leaning towards Chromium but I'll recommend that she try Vivaldi; it's always good to have options :-)

As I understand it Opera is currently "Opera with Chrome/ium"? ;) :D