This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Advised Settings for Software & Updates

masoncartwright

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43:41 pm

I opened this as a new topic as I was unable to find an existing thread. If there is one that I have missed I am happy to post this again under that area.

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on how the first 3 tabs of software & updates should be configured for Zorin 12.1.

Tab 1 - Zorin Software
All boxes are checked except source code and I have changed "download from" to MAIN SERVER - is this the most advisable way to configure this tab?

Tab 2 - Other Software
Here I can see a list of recommended updates, recommended updates (source code), unsupported updates, canonical partners, canonical partners (source code), important security updates, important security updates (source code), etc

Some of these updates have a tick next to them and some don't. I have no idea on whether these items (ticked or not) are already installed or are waiting to be installed so if someone could tell me how to read this tab generally I'd appreciate it.

Tab 3 - Updates
I am unsure if the 3 check boxes at the top of this tab relating to xenial software (whatever that is?) should be ticked as they are currently unticked. Could I again ask for some advice on this?

Apologies if this seems a bit remedial but I'm feeling my way in the dark a bit.

Thanks in advance

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28:02 pm

masoncartwright wrote:I opened this as a new topic as I was unable to find an existing thread. If there is one that I have missed I am happy to post this again under that area.

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on how the first 3 tabs of software & updates should be configured for Zorin 12.1.

Tab 1 - Zorin Software
All boxes are checked except source code and I have changed "download from" to MAIN SERVER - is this the most advisable way to configure this tab?

Correct!

Tab 2 - Other Software
Here I can see a list of recommended updates, recommended updates (source code), unsupported updates, canonical partners, canonical partners (source code), important security updates, important security updates (source code), etc

Some of these updates have a tick next to them and some don't. I have no idea on whether these items (ticked or not) are already installed or are waiting to be installed so if someone could tell me how to read this tab generally I'd appreciate it.

This is just a list of additional sources where software can be installed from - if you install third party applications such as Vivaldi Web Browser you will get additional entries here too.

Tab 3 - Updates
I am unsure if the 3 check boxes at the top of this tab relating to xenial software (whatever that is?) should be ticked as they are currently unticked. Could I again ask for some advice on this?

I suspect these should be left alone - xenial is the project name given by Canonical (Ubuntu) to the current Long Term Support release, 16.04.x which is what Zorin is built on - I suspect if you installed from official Xenial sources instead of Zorin you could end up with a Zoribuntu installation - or broken Zorin. In the past this tab of software updater had a known bug anyway. Don't worry, Zorin pushes out Security and other updates as and when needed/available. ;) :D

Apologies if this seems a bit remedial but I'm feeling my way in the dark a bit.

Thanks in advance

masoncartwright

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05:11 am

Thanks for your help Swarfendor. I'll become an expert yet :lol: