This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Setting Up a Shared External HDD Please Help

harmsey

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:08:38 pm

Hi All I'm pretty new to Zorin like maybe only had it for 1 month, and paid for the Ultimate Version. So far I love the layout...

So right now I have a major headache because I've tried so many different things trying to get my External Hard Drive shared across my network. Here's my set up that I current have:

Right now I have a 160GB PC running Zorin OS 12 Ultimate Connected directly to my Internet via Ethernet Cable, and connected to the PC is a External 8TB USB HDD NTFS Formatted (Seagate). My goal is to be able to access this external hard drive on my home network from Any Device right now this includes a PC upstairs Running Zorin OS as well, a PC Running Windows 7 Home, and an Android Tablet.

What I've tried so far is the built in file sharing where on my External HDD Named NetworkDrive I right click on it select properties and go over the sharing and check mark that I want it shared, and check both boxes, anyway nothing comes up when I'm on my Tablet using ES File Explorer and scan. I've also tried making a folder in the NetworkDrive and sharing that again nothing. So then I started looking around and found that maybe I should be trying Samba methods, I've tried so many different commands trying to get this set up it's not even funny and then updated the smb.conf folder using gksu gedit command still can't get the share to show up. So I proceeded to try the Samba GUI which wouldn't come up until I use the command gksu system-config-samba and once I pulled that up a selected /media/myusername/NetworkDrive as the path I wanted to share. Figured I'd try one more time in ES File explorer manually adding it using myip/media/myusername/NetworkDrive to check and see if it would pull up as a Shared Drive and didn't get anything.

At this point I'm beyond irritated I don't understand how it can be such as hassle to share an external hard drive across the network, my main idea was to get this shared so I could access it with Kodi on any of my devices, but am unsure if sharing an external hard drive is even possible on Zorin at this point.

As a side note is there a way I can give Root to my user because I guess that doesn't set up automatically when you create user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24:00 pm

Well my first concern was seeing the name ... Seagate! I don't know if things have changed but external Seagate drives in the past were GNU/Linux unfriendly! Will get back when I have done some more delving. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:29:35 pm

OK, this is for quite an old version of Ubuntu (Zorin 12 is based on Ubuntu 16.04) - read this post to the end of the thread:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... ost5245965

Let us know if it helps or otherwise. ;) :D