This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) .~lock. items appearing in Documents folder

Finston Pickle

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:09:14 am

What are these .~lock. items, which have been appearing in my documents folder and why are they appearing?

I have been deleting them, as I never saw them in Zorin 9 and everything seems fine.

Something else to get on top of!

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58:33 am

You're not running Visio under Wine are you? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10:02 pm

Not to my knowledge - how could I tell?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02:04 pm

It has been difficult to find info - all I could find is that .lock files are associated with Vizio?

Finston Pickle

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16:25 pm

I guess I will keep deleting them then!

For what it is worth they appear as an extra file associated (same name) with Open Office .odt and .doc files, I think.

I will save a file both as an .odt and .doc to confirm this.

Correction the .~lock file is associated with the files saved as a .doc and is 83 bytes

Finston Pickle

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:40:09 pm

I must be getting better - I found my own solution!

1. "The lock file is created when a document is opened and normally deleted when the document is closed. It's purpose is in a multi user environment to prevent more than one user to edit a document, which would create a problem. The first user to open the file will be able to edit the document but any subsequent users who open the document will be in read only mode."

2. "The lock file is left over after an OpenOffice file is closed in some irregular fashion, as for example by a program or system crash. Its purpose is to prevent two users trying to edit the file at the same time, so if a lock file exists subsequent users see the file as "read-only". With OpenOffice closed, any remaining lock files should be deleted."

They have probably appeared when I have run out of lid closed battery and Open Office was left running before the lid was closed - it is the same arrangement in Libre Office apparently.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47:25 pm

I see a lock file briefly during saving into documents but nothing is showing up after deletion using LibreOffice! ;) :D