This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] HELP! I think I've broke my Zorin 9 installation

fireflyte

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:22:39 am

I prefer Zorin 9 so I continue to use it.
I wanted to use Fuse (the Spectrum emulator) on it but the usual build version can't go full-screen.
This is my biggest gripe with Fuse.
I really wanted a version that could go full-screen so I tried installing an SDL package and there were many errors about "missing dependencies" so I starting installing and upgrading the required ones.
This process failed due to more "missing dependencies" and something broke and I now can't use the Software Centre or even upgrade (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y) any more and there is a perpetual symbol at the bottom corner of the screen that looks like a no-entry sign.
It says an error occurred and to use "Package Manager" but even it couldn't fix the problem.

I have a lot installed on this machine now and want to avoid a total re-installation if at all possible.
Can anyone help, please? :(

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:15:03 am

Try this in a terminal:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a --force-all

[With acknowledgement to https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=965882 and in particular DEANOCYM]

fireflyte

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:24:44 pm

It didn't work.
I got the following error messages:-

dpkg: error processing package zlib1g:amd64 (--configure):
package zlib1g:amd64 1:1.2.11.dfsg-0ubuntu1 cannot be configured because zlib1g:i386 is at a different version (1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1)
dpkg: error processing package zlib1g:i386 (--configure):
package zlib1g:i386 1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1 cannot be configured because zlib1g:amd64 is at a different version (1:1.2.11.dfsg-0ubuntu1)
Errors were encountered while processing:
zlib1g:amd64
zlib1g:i386

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43:41 pm

Try:

Code:
sudo autoremove

But first check what is listed - if it looks like most of the system don't do anything - report back.

fireflyte

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02:03 am

Too late.. sorry.
I needed the laptop working and I was just getting error after error. Even simple functions like file copying and pasting were throwing up error messages so I had to re-install the OS from scratch. :/

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your issues. Have marked thread as [CLOSED]