This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] cant start system after using testdisk

RasmusA

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00:11 pm

hey everybody!
right after using testdisk to rescue some lost data from an external drive (i suspect this hast to do with what happened after...) I seem to have a problem. when I start the computer after asking for my disk encryption password and the message that i entered it succesfully, I get the terminal message: "failed to connect to lvmetad". then I am in the terminal and don´t know what to do with it. no zorin around. the keyboard doesnt react properly either. its whicked!
from live usb the system started fine on the same computer.
any ideas how to repair this?
thank you everybody!

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:29:28 pm

RasmusA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36:31 pm

thanks for your quick anwer, swarfendor 437!
the first suggestion didnt work. the second means installing everything anew doesnt it? i mean, reallt that bad? i have a whole lot of data on my hard disk and i dont really want to customize everything new unless I really really have to. I dont even know what happened. any other ideas?
thanks!

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48:56 pm

See the last post at the bottom of this page:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ectory-but

RasmusA

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44:17 pm

I have to admitt that I dont know what to do. In the mentioned post it says:
" Assuming you're running Linux, in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf set:

use_lvmetad = 0

Stop LVM prior to doing that: /etc/init.d/lvm stop. Make the change and restart LVM: /etc/init.d/lvm start"

I am sorry, I really need a more step by step approach. Or can you tell me where to find more information about how to "set" something "in" a file? Using the "cd" command I managed to move to "/etc/lvm/" but then I didn´t know what to do...

RasmusA

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08:57 pm

obviously the place i am at is called tty1. after some research I figured that I should use the "gedit" command to set lvmetad=0 in the config-file. but I get the error: "failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: file not found.
Unable to init server...
gedtit: gtk-warning: cannot open display..."

HELP!

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:32:44 pm

Hi, can you login at the command line? after login enter 'startx' without the quotes.

All else I can find is the last answer here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/745218/ ... of-lvmetad

Can't progress any further myself - I've exhausted all avenues from what I can tell! :(

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:18:31 pm

Just had a look at your last post in the other thread - if you had the external drive that is failing permanently attached to the machine at boot time that could be what is throwing the error?

RasmusA

Wed May 03, 2017 3:25:41 pm

thank you again... i gave up though. nothing worked of the above mentioned... i reinstalled everything. i suspect it had something to do with logging in as root while using testdisk, but obviously i have no idea. :/

Swarfendor437

Wed May 03, 2017 6:01:02 pm

Hi, Thanks for getting back to us - have marked the thread as [CLOSED] if you are ok with this? ;) :)

sonicdiscovery

Tue May 16, 2017 8:20:12 pm

The same thing happened to me today. Two clean installs and nothing daring other than running the software updates, through the updater. It's on an older HP laptop. I will try to find an answer tonight, other wise will have to install something else to deliver this laptop to the owner with a linux distro. Thanks for any ideas...