This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't boot live system in Zorin OS 12.1

HitCoder

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:50:31 pm

I think this is a long term issue related to the AMDGPU driver, but whenever i try to boot Zorin to the live system, the screen goes blank (no signal, nothing sent from the GPU) and my GPU fans max out.
I've tried using nomodeset (which i believe actually causes problems with AMDGPU anyway), as well as removing "silent splash" from the boot parameters.
I've been having issues with AMDGPU since fglrx was dropped, but I'd like to actually find a solution by now. I've looked across the internet for answers but to no avail. My GPU is MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB, my CPU is an FX-4100.
Kind regards.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41:35 pm

Looks like a Graphics Card issue - read the next to last post on this thread:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2320767

The issue is with AMD not GNU/Linux - can you install without the Graphics Card installed?

HitCoder

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50:37 pm

I believe it not to be my GPU, as I am using an R9 380 as I have previously stated and not an R9 390.
The reason this is specifically important is that within the source you linked, an example given of a supported card was the 380.
The AMDGPU Wikipedia page also states the 380 is supported https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMDGPU
I'm not saying it's Zorin's fault, as I know it is not. I'm just asking if anyone has a solution. I feel that the driver itself is to blame.
I'm mainly disappointed as I have been waiting patiently for the AMDGPU driver to work properly for over a year now, to no avail.

Thanks for responding though by the way, at least someone in this community has responded to my issue (I've posted the same issue with some other distros, like Manjaro.)

HitCoder

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20:15 pm

I would like to add to this thread a confirmation that the problem was not to do with my GPU.
It also wasn't the driver either, it must have been related to my motherboard (though I'm not sure why).
I recently got parts through for a Ryzen build, which i was only able to start yesterday. Today i moved a few parts (namely my GPU) into the new machine, and am able to boot to distributions using AMDGPU perfectly fine now.
My old motherboard was an ASRock N68-VS3 FX, and as previously mentioned, i was using an FX-4100.
I also doubt my ram has anything to do with it, so it could have been some form of conflict between the 380 and the mobo's onboard graphics.
Regardless, the issue is no longer there, so this problem is now solved. Thank you for trying to find information for me by the way.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54:08 pm

Hi, Glad you are sorted and thanks for the update - and apologies for not spotting the GPU ref error! :oops: ;) :D