This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Permanently working noisy fan

parisien

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I have spent so much time trying to solve my noisy fan issue on ubuntu and zorin forums in vain. I would like to ask for your help now.

I bought an HP Omen Freedos and installed Zorin 12 Core. But the fan is working all the time in full speed although heating is not an issue (around 37-45 celcius). I have done the following things but nothing has changed:

- I am using Nvidia Geforce 1050 graphics card and the proprietary driver with it.
- All updates and upgrades are up-to-date.
- TLP does not help.
- "quiet splash" in the Grub in various ways.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. It's driving me crazy! Any help is much appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43:07 pm

Hi, this was for Ubuntu 3 years ago but it may still apply?:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-fix-the-high-f ... paq-6720s/

I know compaq is not hp but they did merge at one point/taken over by HP to become HP/Compaq? ;) :D

parisien

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22:50 pm

Hey Swarfendor, thanks for your relpy.

I tried both scripts and nothing has changed :/

Any other suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42:02 pm

See the last post here: you may need a replacement from BP?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Not ... 701/page/2

parisien

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:01:09 pm

Hi, thanks again for your reply.

I am sorry, I am not good with acronyms. What does BP stand for?

Also, I checked the post you mentioned. Do you mean that I need to take the computer to service and maybe ask for a replacement?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12:32 pm

Predictive Text on smartphone again! HP not BP - sorry! Yes, if still in warranty see if you can get a replacement laptop - might be worth recording an audio file and attaching that to any e-mail you send them. ;) :D (But I wouldn't mention you are running GNU/Linux - they might say it invalidates your warranty? :(

parisien

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28:06 pm

Oh I see now. Thanks!

That's sad, though. It's been only 3 weeks since I bought it. I don't think running Linux would invalidate my warranty because I bought it as Free-Dos

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29:40 pm

Well looking at that thread looks like the person only had it for five days! :( :o