This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

windows looses drive map on logoff

billb1313

Thu May 04, 2017 5:01:07 pm

Wow, I spent an hour documenting this and my post didn't go through. Thats how this project is going. Anyway, I hope someone recognizes my problem here. I have setup shares via samba and am able (with some kicks - see below) to map windows to the shares and have rwx access to same. The problem is that when logoff/logon or reboot of windows, mapped drive gives network "could not reconnect network drives". The mapping / connection to share from windows was also quirky with the following symptoms:
On fresh boot or logon, mapping the drive via "map netwrk drive" dialog using \\servername\sharename windows issues a "Windows cannot access \\servername\sharename as if it is not even seen.
this occurs even when IP address is used in place of servername
Ping of the servername returns the correct IP address of server
net view of servername returns names of share(s) of type disk
net use R: \\servername\sharename returns error 53 network path not found
replacing IP address for servername above yeilds error 53

2. In order to connect to the share and map the drive I MUST FIRST enter \\servername into windows explorer address bar which immediately pops the shares. After I open the share I can map a drive letter to that share using std windows GUI
if I wait 10 to 15 seconds after \\servername displays the shares, windows kicks the \\servername\sharename error
If I open the share quickly enough mapping proceeds nominally and connection is maintained throughout the session
after drive is mapped, net use still fails with error 53
3. After a logoff/logon or re-boot, using window explorer to open the servername and the the share name makes the mapped drive re connected.

I have tried making the linux server a WINS server and the windows ipconfig reports it properly. I have set the "network security: LAN manager authentication level" GPO key under Computer>>Windows Settings>>Security Settings>>Local Policies>>Security Options to "LM & NTLM - user NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". I have disabled firewall on both boxes and googled till my fingers bled. I must be VERY close but I am stumped. If anyone out there can help it would be GREATLY appreciated
thank you
p.s. Samba is 4.3.11 Zorin 9.1 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) Tried 12 and liked a lot about it but remote desktop killed my GUI (twice) and other glitches forced me back to a distro I have used in the past

Swarfendor437

Thu May 04, 2017 5:11:57 pm

Did your bleeding fingers find this per chance? ;) :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab