This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Startup is stuck

wandreef

Sat May 06, 2017 1:41:13 am

Hi, :(

After my update this morning I turned the machine off in the usual way. Tonight I started up and there is a problem. When the script arrived at "LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernal module" it then kicked me into terminal. It was called "Zorin OS 12.1 zorin tty1" followed by a request for login.

I tried a couple of things but the desktop didn't come back. I see the directory's are still the same.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you fix it?
Is there something I can try?

Walter

Swarfendor437

Sat May 06, 2017 10:59:47 am

Is Zorin running in Virtual Box on Windows? I have 12.1 but I never see any scripts running just the glowing Z before arriving at the login prompt. :?

qnarkill

Sat May 06, 2017 12:31:56 pm

wandreef

Sat May 06, 2017 9:45:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Is Zorin running in Virtual Box on Windows? I have 12.1 but I never see any scripts running just the glowing Z before arriving at the login prompt. :?

Hi, Zorin is installed on linux. The scripts interrupt the glowing Z.

Walter

wandreef

Sat May 06, 2017 9:54:24 pm

qnarkill wrote:Check this out

Thanks qnarkill. The information on the link sounds kind of like an extreme disk level repair. I can still see the contents of all my directories so that suggests something appears to be working fine in the file system. Everything was fine 4 days ago so I'll try other things before I go there if I get other suggestions. I would like to undo all the updates of the past few days. Is that possible?

Also Do you know if the GUI can be started from the terminal? I'd like to try that if you know the command line entries?

Walter

qnarkill

Sun May 07, 2017 6:49:21 am

The information on the link sounds kind of like an extreme disk level repair.

No but they might actually fix your machine. Suite yourself though.

To check the history of updates
Code:
cat /var/log/dpkg.log

To start the gui from tty
Code:
sudo service lightdm start

wandreef

Sun May 07, 2017 4:36:58 pm

qnarkill wrote:
The information on the link sounds kind of like an extreme disk level repair.

No but they might actually fix your machine. Suite yourself though.

No disrespect intended qnarkill. All suggestions are good! I'm just nervous about losing data. I've been looking around and it seems your suggestions are the best.Can I do a backup from the command line? I have a backup drive on the network.

qnarkill

Sun May 07, 2017 4:46:19 pm

wandreef

Sun May 07, 2017 6:29:17 pm

Thank you qnarkill,
Your solutions worked but the GUI wouldn't come back. I tried lightdm but had to reinstall it even though it was on the machine but after that the two screens appeared and the icons came back a bit later. When I reboot everything is slow to load and there is an Ubuntu screen that loads first and stays for about 1-2 minutes but after that the screen resets itself and my icons appear. Its better than it was thank you very much.

qnarkill

Sun May 07, 2017 6:34:37 pm

What did you actually try? Did you try to uninstall all the updates that you had installed before this happened?