This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Zorin 12. lates Kernel upgrade 4.8.0-52-generic

johnboy

Tue May 16, 2017 6:42:42 pm

After upgrading to the latest kernel 4.8.0-52-generic today for 12.1, on reboot I have lost the gui login and am having to login by command line and then type startx to get to the desktop anybody else experienced this and is there a remedy?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Tue May 16, 2017 9:25:53 pm

Hi, is this Core? If it is I will PM the Devs/Admins about this. Have you been able to get to see the GRUB screen at all at boot time? (Hold Left Shift key while booting - mine appears to have stopped doing it!) If you can, choose advanced boot options, safe mode then run DPKG from the options, but be sure you have a wired connection to the internet. Before going down this route, when in graphical mode try and run the following commands in a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

There appears to be a whole host of bugs at present:

https://ubuntuupdates.org/bugs.atom

If you can choose an earlier kernel at boot time from the Advanced Mode, once in desktop, remove the latest kernel via Software or if not installed, get Synaptic Package Manager and remove it from there by searching for Kernel in filter box.

johnboy

Wed May 17, 2017 6:38:26 am

I have tried an earlier kernel from the advanced and the same happens so it is looking like a possible gdm problem after this upgrade. I have done a reconfigure of lightdm and chose this out of the two shown and this does boot to an Ubuntu style login page now - but no zorin style login. Anyone else found this?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 17, 2017 11:50:17 am

I will check my current version of Zorin (kernel) tonight and see if it is the same kernel or not updated yet and post back. ;)

johnboy

Wed May 17, 2017 1:32:42 pm

I have done a fresh install of Zorin OS 12.1 Ultimate with the 4.8 - kernel booted fine to graphical login then did the software upgrade with the graphical updater over 1gb of upgrades. Upgraded all - then broken again on reboot to terminal login to type startx to get to the graphical desktop. I have upgraded a friends laptop as well using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 to the latest 4.8 kernel and updates and all appears to boot to this graphical desktop fine - so is it Zorin combined with gnome gdm display bug perhaps

Swarfendor437

Wed May 17, 2017 5:18:45 pm

Hi, I came home to find a pile of updates including the kernel to the one you state causing a problem - no issue on my rig. :(

Are your software sources in Software Updater pointing to Main Server?

johnboy

Wed May 17, 2017 6:26:07 pm

Fixed - a gdm update came in about 2 hours ago through the updater. Thanks all!