This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLsing Redo to record your Z12 system and backups for data

Finston Pickle

Mon May 22, 2017 8:13:46 am

After the difficulties I have had with both my Zorin 9 and Zorin 12 laptops, I am looking for a method to:

a. Store my system settings (OS, extra programmes that I have loaded and all the specific settings that I have gradually made).

b. Store all the data that I have created on an ongoing, incremental basis.

So far, I have been using the built in "backups" facility to store the data on a back up drive for each laptop.

Both laptops have a 500 Gig hard drive and both backup drives are 1 TB.

It seems to me that in theory I can use REDO to create an .iso type image of my system settings and then periodically use backups to store my current data.

In the event of a major system trauma, I would use REDO to restore my system, boot the system and then use backups to restore the data.

Any flaws in the plan?

Can I store both the REDO and backups files on the same back up hard drive for each laptop? Any clashes here?

Do I have to delete my existing backups from the backup hard drives before starting? If so, how - nautilus, disks?

Does order matter - REDO first and then backups or visa versa?

How would I replace the REDO file if I added more applications - do I have to delete the old one or would it be overwritten

Any other tips?

Thanks F.P.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 22, 2017 12:08:56 pm

Hi, Redo is not as fancy as Acronis and think that Acronis is built for Windows specifically (I tried using Acronis to clone my Voyager install to another drive and it failed). Someone commented on here a while ago that Redo is unable to do Partitions etc - I think it is all or nothing but will need to check the documentation. Please be aware that Redo is a 'dead' project as such but it does the job of backing up an entire system and restoring it as evidenced by another forum member. I would use Redo first. I have never been clear on how good it is to backup the themes/settings etc - all I know is that in respect of Application settings these are all stored in the hidden files of your /home folder - they all are named with a period (full stop) in front - if not showing, press Ctrl+ H - otherwise they will be shown.

Having just looked at the official website it is not clear if you can do incremental backups. ;)

Finston Pickle

Tue May 23, 2017 7:06:49 am

The more I think about it, I could clone my laptop hard disc to an external drive by checking the drives by entering "sudo fdisk –l", then using dd by entering "sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc".

Does this dd method only work if the external hard drive is unformatted OR would it overwrite existing content? Could I additionally use "backups" to back up my data to the back up drive without affecting my operating system restore ability?

Can I reinstall the operating system back onto my laptop without tangling with GRUB - which feels very esoteric? I suspect not.

Presumably, I have to get my laptop to boot from the external drive by using GRUB somehow, I guess. How in detail, I wonder? Then I would have to copy the partitions and content from the external drive to the laptop. Would this be by using dd again? What would be the command this time - "sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc" OR "sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sda"?

Perhaps what I am looking for is an application which can create a bootable, live DVD version of my operating system, additional programmes and settings. I could then use my external hard drive solely for "backups" to store my data. After a major issue I would reinstall my original OS from the DVD and use "Backups" to restore my latest data save.

Looking on the Internet it seems that there have been applications which can do this, supposedly. Do any of them currently work with Zorin 12.1/Ubuntu 16.04?

Would the extra programmes and settings make an .iso file too large to fit on a DVD?

Swarfendor437

Tue May 23, 2017 11:59:30 am

Basically, you can only create a barebones image - it used to be easy in Zorin 4 with an app whose name escapes me at present - even had a GUI interface but the way things have moved on it is now in Bash only (Terminal commands). Listen, you can boot redobackup as a live CD and reinstall your image back to your laptop without reference to what is there - just remember to backup any recently created files first. There is no reason why you cannot have images on your external drive and data - so long as it is large enough. ;)

Yoiur other option is to use clonezilla but this is looking at cloning a drive to replace the existing one - only worthwhile if you have a notebook with 2 bays. If you use Clonezilla to clone a desktop install it is vital that you clone the mbr too! ;)

Finston Pickle

Wed May 24, 2017 8:22:54 am

Yes, I am finally coming around to using REDO (which I already have on a DVD) to install it's files on the same usb, external, back up drive that holds the present "backups" backup data for each laptop. I will do a fresh backup, using "backups" for both laptops, before using REDO, making sure I get the .files backed up as well.

At best, I will be able to restore my full Zorin OS operating system, extra installed applications and settings as well as my data. At worst I can load a fresh install of Zorin, add my data and progressively install applications and revise the settings as I have done before.

As each of my laptop's usb, external, back up drive seems to be mated to the individual laptop by "backups" (I was surprised by this - they will not work if connected to the wrong laptop), I assume it will be similarly mated for using REDO and that there will be enough headroom for it all to fit on easily - 1 Tb external drives - 500 Gb hard drive on each laptop, partially used.

Presumably, I could use "Disks" to see what I have ended up with and what residual headroom there is for more data, etc.

Question: Because of this pairing of the usb, external, back up drive to the individual laptop, does this mean I can't use the REDO for my Zorin 12 laptop to install Zorin 12 on my Zorin 9 laptop after support for Zorin 9 has lapsed? Is there a work around? Additional complication - the screen resolution is higher on the newer laptop.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 24, 2017 11:48:21 am

Clearly, if you did something similar in windows there would be a wobble - different hardware etc. Never done it to be honest. There is a guide on the Help section of Zorin OS - upgrading system etc - that might be the better route in respect of your Zorin 9 install. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue May 30, 2017 10:34:49 am

I decided to proceed with using REDO - on my 500 Gb HDD, Zorin 9 laptop, as a trial.

First, I used “backups” to back up my latest data, including the .files, to my 1 Tb HDD, USB back up drive - I have used “backups” cumulatively - about four times in total.

I then ran REDO to store an image of my laptop on the same USB back up drive - having created a new Folder, Zorin, in the same region as the “Backups” data files first.

Everything looked good, so I left REDO to it.

Coming back, I found that REDO had hung up at 7 1/2 % completed, with an error box - something to do with a write error and an OK option. Clicking OK brought up a series of write error boxes every time I clicked OK.

I powered off the laptop to get out of REDO, getting the DVD out before shutdown.

Did I do something wrong?:

Was my Zorin folder in the wrong place? If so where should it go?

Should I have deleted the previous “Backups” data files to have only one latest series of files? If so how?

Nearly there I think, but just missing something.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 30, 2017 3:05:23 pm

Are the external drives formatted to FAT32 or Ext4? Just guessing here. There could be either an issue with your optical drive, or potentially a bad sector on your external drive.

Finston Pickle

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55:23 am

I had a look at my 1 Tb usb Seagate back up drive - it is formatted to NTFS.

What I found was that “Backups” had surprisingly filled 590Gb leaving only ~400 Gb available for the REDO image that I was trying to create from my laptop's 500 Gb HDD. Not surprising that REDO did not work when I tried it, I guess.

Question:

Can I get back to a new drive state by using “Disks” to reformat the Seagate drive?
OR Is there a way of easily deleting just the “backups” data?

Then:

a. I can try using REDO on the empty usb back up drive to store an image of my OS, Applications and settings.

b. Then use “backups” periodically to save my data as it evolves - I understand that “backups” will overwrite its files as a drive becomes full.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:59:44 pm

If you can browse your Seagate Drive (not known for GNU/Linux fondness!) you surely can just delete the appropriate folders? Also there is another option I discovered (but not used) by accident the other day while browsing Disks:

DiskImage.jpg

PartitionImage.jpg

;) :D

Finston Pickle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36:47 pm

Yes, I can see the "Backups" files on the seagate - just unsure if I just delete everything with the "duplicity" prefix.

There is an Autorun.inf and a .fuse_hiddenXXX file which could be associated with "duplicity" and need removing - I don't know.

I also spotted the Create Image in Disks.

As far as I can see the Seagate partition is about 985 Gb

How the "created Partition image" - about 500 Gb - would interact with the Seagate 985 Gb partition - if dropped into it - is above my pay grade. Would it just be Nested within the larger partition, allowing "Headroom" for the "backups" backup data within the 985 Gb partition. If so, I guess there could be ~ 450 Gb for "Backups data.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16:46 pm

At the end of the day, how you manage your backups and data can be a personal thing - when you start removing backups just be sure that you have all your critical data backed up elsewhere before wantonly removing this ant that backup. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:08:03 pm

I think the easiest way for me to go forward will be to buy another Seagate usb back up drive - leaving the Backups data safely on the existing separate drive. This stops any issues with partitions etc. arising. Peace of mind for ~£50.

Whether it is better to use REDO or Disks to back up the OS, additional installed applications and settings is the question.

Somehow REDO seems more flexible as you would not have to reload the basic OS first after a catastrophic crash.

I can't see how Disks would work unless the OS is restored first. Even then, I can't see how you can recover the Created back up image onto the HDD whilst the OS is running - I guess it is more useful if you want to create a cloned drive.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58:47 pm

I stopped buying Seagate drives after my first purchase based on the fact that their drives had been chosen by all major 'Set Top Box PVR' manufacturers. It was a 300 Gb Drive with 5 year guarantee - did not last 3 years and was expected to pay postage to Holland when they would supply a refurbished drive not a new one!

For external drives I always now buy Buffalo 2Tb from Ebuyer. The latest is USB 2 and 3 compliant - my first one was just 2 - if attached to USB 3 the LED on the front lights up Blue - if attached to USB 2 it glows green. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:19:05 pm

Well, I have finally achieved what I wanted:

I first used Backups to back up my Data to my 1TB Seagate back up drive.

I had bought another 500Gb Toshiba back up drive - same size and my laptop Toshiba drive - for ~£40.

I then used Redo to take an image of my laptop drive and record it onto the Toshiba back up drive.

I went to power off in Redo but I made the mistake of taking the Redo DVD out of my laptop, which seemed to stop things dead - two blue flashing lights that I had not seen before.

I powered off on the laptop power button - probably not the best way - but the laptop restarted OK and job done.

How should I have got the Redo DVD out from the machine, I wonder?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37:20 pm

I'll need to look at that when I have time. ;)

Finston Pickle

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41:57 am

Now I've gained confidence with REDO, what are the chances I could use the image of my Z12 laptop to put Zorin 12 Ultimate (as I have set it up settings, apps and data) onto either my old Windows XP Mesh desktop (2006 plus updates) or a brand new 2017 Mesh desktop (which, I guess, I could buy without an operating system, with UEFI and safe start disabled and set up to start from a DVD)?

I ask this as it seems the back up drives are somehow linked to the parent machine - I could not use backups to restore data to my Z12 laptop - when I inadvertently used the wrong back up drive (the one used by my Z9 machine).

Also I wonder if an image is able to detect and adjust for differing hardware from the machine it came from.

Interesting Dilemma/Possibilties!