This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Update Stalled

mdiemer

Sat May 27, 2017 2:24:31 am

I've been away for a while, and when I attempted an update, it was very large (1.5 GB). After about 90 minutes, I saw it was stuck about 1/3 of the way through. Checking the details, I saw that all the components had 100% with a line drawn through them. I cancelled the update. what does this mean?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 27, 2017 5:34:35 pm

Hi, can you tell us what version of Zorin you are using? Thanks. ;) :D

Oh, are you pointing to Main Server for your software updates? Is this Core or Ultimate also. Thanks.

mdiemer

Mon May 29, 2017 2:48:43 am

I think it's Zorin Ultimate 12.1. I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, i'll double check that when I get a chance.

Okay, back on Zorin. It is in fact Zorin 12.1 Ultimate. Not sure about Main Server, I just agreed to update when it offered.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 29, 2017 1:06:29 pm

OK, from the Menu search bar enter 'Software Updater' - click on the 'Cancel' button when it starts. When it has refreshed itself, click on the 'Settings' button on the Software Updater interface.
Go to the first tab and whatever server is listed, use the drop-down arrow to select 'Main Server' and apply the change now try updating again - it should be smoother. Also large updates will occur if you have ultimate and not removed Xonotic - I think it shipped with Zorin 12. ;) :D I seem to remember issues relating to Warzone 2100 - you might as well remove that whilst your at it. ;) :D

mdiemer

Mon May 29, 2017 5:26:17 pm

Thanks Swarf, I'll give it a go.

mdiemer

Mon May 29, 2017 8:23:03 pm

Actually, I may just go back to Zorin Core. I don't need or use all the apps on Ultimate. Then too, I'm also anxious for Lite to come out. I might try that instead.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 29, 2017 9:26:43 pm

mdiemer

Wed May 31, 2017 8:43:19 pm

Very impressive. Somehow though, Makulu always seems to be trying to resemble a Thomas Kinkade painting. A bit too cozy, if that makes any sense. but that's just me. I am currently enjoying Ubuntu Mate. Was using Solus for about a month, but I can't boot in anymore. That's the trouble with these self-built distros. While very impressive, they have a hard time competing with the large teams behind Ubuntu or Mint. I really like Solus and I hope I am able to boot into it again. But I'm not going to reinstall until I know what caused the problem in the first place. Learned my lesson with that one.

My computer, the one I use Linux on, is older, and many distros have problems on it that they wouldn't necessarily have on newer systems. I always find that some version of Ubuntu works best. Or Mint, which I used to use but now find boring. Ubuntu Mate is incredible. As for Zorin, I think I'll wait for Lite. Zorin on this computer (sadly) has always had problems. So I'm looking forward to trying the new Lite. Perhaps that will finally be a Zorin that this machine likes.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52:23 pm

Well you don't have to stick with the wallpaper - the issue for me with Makulu is that it is pae based kernel so SolydX is the best way forward for older kit. ;) :D

I'll never go near Solus again - I tried pointing to helpful information on this forum that might help members there and my credentials and reasons for being on their forum were being brought into question - its key founder actually plaguerised a wallpaper designed by someone else (per datek1 R.I.P.)

mdiemer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25:26 pm

That's too bad. Clearly they have some things to work out, especially with updates that basically break the system. What I like about it is its simplicity, elegance and intuitiveness. I do think it has potential, and hopefully down the road I can try it again. But I'm not going to reinstall hundreds of packages to make it bootable. In Ubuntu Mate, you just click something and it fixes all broken packages, and quick. But of course they have a huge team and years of product base. It is after all Ubuntu. Solus is a small project, like Zorin. But even Zorin has been around longer than Solus.

Can't wait to try Lite! Tell them to hurry. I need my Zorin!

mdiemer

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:40:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well you don't have to stick with the wallpaper - the issue for me with Makulu is that it is pae based kernel so SolydX is the best way forward for older kit. ;) :D

Does Makulu use the Variety app? I just started using it in Ubuntu Mate, and it loos like it has all the features Makulu uses to fancy things up.

Also, how is Makulu in terms of stability? On my computer, that's always the $64,000 question (not sure how many pounds that is).

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40:16 pm

Yes, both Flash and Lindoz have the variety wallpaper - both are still beta/development packages - Lindoz 13.2.03 is reportedly very stable release, but still in Beta. Jacque has done a great job of getting Compiz working with xfce - not only simplifying it with an on/off switch in settings but also when switched off the Windows Manager and other settings are present, when Compiz is switched on the Window Manager etc is 'removed' both from Settings and the Menu to avoid any confusion/clashes in Settings. Just to add I have been reliably informed that the public Beta of Zorin Lite should be due out this week - I would give it till next week (unless proven otherwise and based on xubuntu 16.04. :D

mdiemer

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42:41 pm

Thank you Sir. Last night I put Zorin 9 Lite in my computer to check it out again, and was very impressed. I realized that it had a Mate DE, which I wasn't aware of at the time. Very exciting to hear that Lite is coming soon. I really hope it can finally be a stable Zorin for me. I guess I never really gave 9-lite a chance. Do you think 12-lite will be more stable than Core or Ultimate (understanding that I mean on finicky systems like mine)?

I might give Makulu another go. I have DVD's of Aero and Lindoz, but never installed them. I'm just concerned that, again, considering my system has problems with many distros, that it will with Makulu also.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50:46 pm

Just bear in mind that both Makulu's are still in Beta but I was impressed to hear that Flash installs in 3 minutes! (Not so on old kit which requires 'forcepae --forcepae' to get to work). ;) :D

Also remember that 9 Lite is no longer supported as it was a 3 year life-cycle - ended April this year (just as Lubuntu on which it was based).

mdiemer

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21:38 am

The ones I have are older (Makulu that is). Also, I just ran the live version of 9-lite. I think my real problem is my video card. I mean, my specs aren't that bad, really. I suspect the weak link is the GeForce 8400. but I'm reluctant to buy a new card when the computer is so old. I can't wait to try the new Zorin Lite. I like the Xfce DE a lot. Should be a perfect marriage.