This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Software Centre

Bazz

Mon May 29, 2017 5:30:52 am

I have installed zorin os 12.1 but I am unable to install anything from the software centre it says installing but nothing happens even if I leave it for hours. Any ideas anyone? I am new to this and not a tech wiz at 76.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 29, 2017 1:01:00 pm

Hi Bazz and welcome to the Zorin forums!

I had similar issue. First open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T then enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic package manager

you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (Administrator) in order to install packages - please note you won't see any asterisks so be careful when entering your password - you get 3 attempts before it drops back to $:user. You will be asked to enter 'Y/N' as to whether you want to install the package - obviously we need to press 'Y'. Once installed, and whilst still in the terminal, enter

Code:
sudo synaptic

this will launch the Synaptic Package Manager.

From the Menu search bar, enter 'Software Updater' and when it starts up, click on the 'Cancel' button - when it has settled you will see a 'Settings' button - press that and on the window that opens, select the first Tab and change your locale server for packages to Main Server and apply the change. Now go to this post here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12734#p56543

and search for each of the packages I have listed there - right-click each green box against each of those packages and select 'Mark for reinstallation' - then click on 'Apply' on the Menu bar at the top of Synaptic Package Manager - hopefully this will sort your Software Centre issues out as it did for me. ;) :D

Bazz

Tue May 30, 2017 2:17:51 am

Thanks swarfender437. Tried your suggestion.

Terminal says "unable to find synaptic software manager"

Ready to jump on laptop.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 30, 2017 3:00:45 pm

Hi Bazz, no that is correct, you have to install Synaptic Package Manager via the Terminal first, before you can install those packages.

Bazz

Tue May 30, 2017 3:15:12 pm

I am new to this system, how do I download synaptic package manger? The terminal is foreign to anything I have used before. Hope I am not being a nuisance with these questions but I have never used anything like this. I have got Windows on my other laptop.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 30, 2017 6:19:08 pm

OK, open Terminal by going to Menu (The 'Z' Button), find Utilities

Utilities.jpg

and within the sub-menu, Terminal, or using your keyboard, press Ctrl+ Alt+ T.

Terminal.jpg

Then copy this command by clicking on 'Select All' - this will copy to your clipboard - then right-click any where in the open terminal and select 'Paste' then press your 'Enter' key - you will then be asked for your login password - this is where you need to be careful with your keystrokes as you will not get any visual feedback, press Enter again and you will be asked if you want to install the following package - press 'Y' on the keyboard to let it install.:

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic

synaptic.jpg

After installation, whilst still in the Terminal to save time, enter:

Code:
sudo synaptic

because you have already entered your password it won't ask for it again, then search for these packages (SEE BELOW UPLOADED IMAGES), one at a time using the 'search filter':

Search for packages.jpg

mark for reinstallation.jpg

appstream

libsnapd-glib1

gnome-software

gnome-software common

and don't forget to click on 'Apply' for the reinstallations to take effect

Apply all marked changes.jpg

Bazz

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22:07 am

Thanks swarfender437, you are a genius, and I am eternally grateful. I don.\'t get the same screen as your last (Synaptic Package Manager) but hey it works! aAe you a computer pro or just an enthusiastic amateur. No matter your help has been brilliant. :D :D :lol:

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:56:43 pm

Hi, I'm self taught and for about 2 years I was a self-employed IT Contractor working for a company who was the Local Authorities Service Provider - client's were impressed when I could speak to them on my mobile phone, on the back of a bus, without a computer in front of me, navigating them to backend settings in Internet Explorer! (I'm modest too! :lol: )