This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 12.1 Ultimate packages and latest release

Finston Pickle

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40:45 pm

Looking through Synaptic Package Manager, I see a considerable list of Zorin 12 specific packages. Many are not installed.

Which ones should I see when I am running Zorin 12.1 Ultimate? AND - What release should they be?

I suspect that I may be missing some.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:45:57 pm

Hi, the only ones you need are these:

Zorin1.jpg

Zorin2.jpg

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25:07 pm

Thanks - I'm pretty certain that I have not got them all. I wonder how that could be?

I guess that I can install most of them using Synaptic Package Manager and patiently working through the list!

Are there any that I need to get elsewhere?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53:44 pm

No, that should be everything. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:45:04 pm

Act in haste - regret at leisure?

Perhaps wrongly, as everything seemed to be running well, I decided to use Synaptic Package Manager install the Zorin 12 Ultimate missing packages relative to Swarf's list.

They were:

gnome-shell-extension-zorin-background-plus 1.03
zorin-appearance-layouts-shell-core 1.1
zorin-appearance-layouts-shell-premium 1.1
zorin-appearance-layouts-support 2.0
zorin-background-plus 2.0.2-1
zorin-os-census 1.1~zorinos12
zorin-os-premium-zorin-apps (seemed to go well - more later) 12.0

I thought a little about the following two, but went ahead anyway (here is the regret bit):
zorin-os-default settings
zorin-os-desktop

Both seemed to be linked and clashed with Libre Office dependencies, seemingly. Strange, because I have deleted Libre Office and use Open Office! I can not delete, totally delete or reinstall either of these two - but they do not show as being broken. The result is two red lines across both of these packages. Zorin-os-premium-zorin-apps also appeared to be no longer installed.

AND

libre-office-core 1:5.1.6~rc2
libre-office-ogltrans 1:5.1.6~rc2
libre-office-style-elementary 1:5.1.6~rc2
libre-office-style-galaxy 1:5.1.6~rc2

now show as being broken packages - I can not delete, totally delete or reinstall any of them.

I also found several packages showing in Synaptic Package Manager which were not on Swarf's list:

syslinux-themes-zorin-os-12 1.06
zorin-appearance-layouts-xfce-premium (this appeared installed with one of the first eight packages) 1.0
zorin-os-business 12.0
zorin-os-premium-business-apps 12.0
zorin-os-premium-games 12.0
zorin-os-premium-multimedia-apps 12.0
zorin-os-ultimate 12.0

There may be some more – I lost focus.

The engineer in me says, if it the OS is just good enough, everything will be fine. Everything seems to be continuing to work just fine – although I have not powered off yet and restarted.

However, I do want updates to work in the future and I am afraid of something being locked to prevent updates.

Do I need to do anything more? - Some in the last list look a bit like Zorin 12 Ultimate content.

STOP PRESS:

I just ran Synaptic package Manager again - no red lines across zorin-os-default settings or
zorin-os-desktop!

I installed zorin-os-premium-zorin-apps, which miraculously removed libre-office-core, libre-office-ogltrans , libre-office-style-elementary and libre-office-style-galaxy.

ALLS WELL THAT ENDS WELL! I guess.

I still wonder if I have all the Zorin 12 Ultimate packages.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:35:48 pm

Half way down your last post you stated something about the engineer in you - pay heed to that 'DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE!!!' :o :shock:

Finston Pickle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:11:11 pm

Yes, that is a good adage!

I think that I will let this drop now, thanks Swarf.