This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin 12 print jobs "held"

Finston Pickle

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52:17 am

My latest problem with my Zorin 12 Ultimate laptop, since I had start up issues, is printing.

Linux / Ubuntu / Zorin printing is very esoteric to me, but I had it working fine previously.

I seem to remember a message “unable to connect to Cifs host” whatever that means. I think something called CUPS is involved somewhere.

When I look into settings > printer, a rather neat graphic shows my printer as being recognised with a tick, all the correct IP Address and printer name info, ready and ON.

“Show jobs” reveals two held jobs. Pressing the > button does not make any difference.

“print test page” results in “processing” and then “held” and then seems to repeat the process.

Surprisingly two “Held” jobs did print off normally - after some delay- the other day.

Any suggestions - reinstall CUPS, files, the printer drivers? - I am clutching at straws here.

My Zorin 9 laptop never had problems printing. This issue is occurring on my Zorin 12 laptop and predates the updating of Zorin 12 packages mentioned in another thread.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:52:58 pm

Cifs is a system relating to Windows. but not exclusively:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 39973.aspx

Is the printer connected/shared from a Windows machne? If it is wireless, make and model please so we can progress the issue! ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08:10 pm

Yes, my Epson Stylus DX6000 printer is connected to a Windows XP machine, which is linked to my Laptop by both my WiFI and ethernet mains extender plug in units and which prints perfectly from my other Zorin 9 laptop.

Looking in settings > printer now, my print job is still held. The "print test page" item which was held periodically has now totally disappeared.

I would have thought that the arrows that appear on the "Show Jobs" would do something - they don't appear to. I can't even see how you cancel print jobs.

No indication of anything amiss apart from nothing coming out of my printer - unlike the previous two prints which were "held" and then ultimately did print.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:13:05 pm

OK, don't ask me why, I don't know. Delete the printer from your Printers in Zorin 12.1. Next, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

it will launch the same 'Add Printer' interface but find Network printers should work and install better. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:14:15 pm

Yes, I think that reinstalling my networked printer/driver as you say will be the best course of action.

Fortunately, I gave a blow by blow reference somewhere on the forum the last time I did it, so I should be able to follow the steps I took.

I will do some digging and get on with it, thanks.

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44:25 pm

Following a fairly substantial 500Gb “software updater” update, I tried removing my “held” printer and reinstalling it afresh, as suggested.

It seemed to go all right - then printing a test page resulted in the print job again being “held”.

However, out of nowhere, two new boxes - that I had never seen before - had popped up:

“Printers local host” and “Document print status”.

The latter enabled me to delete 15 held jobs and bingo! Things are printing again.

Where were these boxes when I needed them before? - I don't really care now things are working again.

Just to be safe, in case I need them again, I have left them permanently open.