This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] admin rights

tuckson

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:23:48 pm

Hi

Try this the second time. Thought I posted this morning, but cannot find the topic?

Maybe a complex question, but...
I want to use Zorin OS voor the computer of my 13-yr old daughter.
Of course she must be able to unlock her screen, but I do not want her to be able do change things herself or to install apps.
Is it possible to alter the installation like I have on Win7 that I can change things for her while using another password (e.g. that of root)?

Am not afraid of command line, am intermediately used to unix, so that's no problem

Thanx

Wolfman

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23:06 pm

Hi tuckson and welcome,

quite simply don't tell your daughter the user password and she cannot do anything on an admin level, it is as simple as that, or you can create an account just for her with no admin rights!!.

She can log in at the log in menu under her name and is separate from the administrator!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

tuckson

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48:38 pm

Thnx for the reply, But... I don't get it. If she logs in with a password, this pwd is the very same she should use to sudo to admin tasks, right? Each time she will use the software center to install something this pwd will be rewuired, but since it is her own login pwd, how can I not tell her?

If I remove her sudo rights, will in the graphical environment, I be able to do the tasks on her behalf, but with a different account pwd?

pantabulosin

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:01:09 am

Ok, here's how you should go about this. I'll explain it using the windows 7 look, but you can do it in any conceivable way.

1. Click on the Zorin start button.
2. type "Users and Groups" without the quote marks on the search bar.
3. Create new user clicking on the Add button. This will be your daughter's account.
4. The new user should have "Desktop user" privileges, meaning she could not install apps. But you can check that.
5. If you want to be more specific on what permissions your daughter will have, you can click on Advanced.... and check what you feel she should have access to.

This way, she has her own user account, but access to important parts of the computer can be restricted by you, and while you can do more things from that menu, hopefully I managed to solve your problem. Don't hesitate to ask if anything comes up.

P.S: I haven't checked this, but she may be asked for an administrator password (yours) to install applications, so if that's true and she knows your password it would all be for nothing. However, if she knew your password she could just give herself all the privileges she wanted anyways. Good luck using Zorin OS.

tuckson

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:51:27 am

Works like a charm and exactly what I meant.
Thank you very much.

pantabulosin

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:28:16 pm

Glad we could help. Enjoy Zorin!

Wolfman

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:24:24 am

Thank you pantabulosin for explaining that better and in more detail than I did! :D

Regards Wolfman :D