This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Dvd drive doesn't mount

Maerskian

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03:49 pm

Using Zorin OS9 on a fairly old ( 10 years ) laptop .

Everything worked great for the last 2-3 years, until all of a sudden the dvd-rom drive stopped working properly :

- I can open/close it as usual
- Checked "Disks" ( system tools - preferences - disks ) and it's there , i can see the serial number and device info ( /dev/sr0 ) .

Tried this :

- Introduced a regular audio cd ( not a cd-r copy, not a scratched cd, not even a lightly scratched cd... but a shiny one i know it plays perfectly )

- Opened a terminal and :

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/cdrom0
sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0

But it throws:

Code:
no medium found on /dev/sr0

What should i try next ?
Thanks in advance

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12:56 pm

Have you ever used one of these in the drive?

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=a ... 2859146%29

Maerskian

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:44:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you ever used one of these in the drive?

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=a ... 2859146%29

Nope .

Full disclosure: it's not my laptop, but my relative's ... so not 100% how clean/dirty it might be, although i'm sure he never cleaned it.

My laptop is the same age... and never cleaned it either, although it works fine.

To be honest, at this point i was expecting the device to be broken or something similar, so i'm guessing my best chance now will be to try & clean it :)

Thanks for your help as usual. Will update how it goes once i'm done ^__^

MBMz10

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25:25 am

Just some food for thought, the cleaning disc is around $25 AU may or may not work. You still have the cleaning disc to use on your car home DVD system etc.
USB DVD around $20 AU on ebay and seen internal DVD about same price also on ebay just for some options.
I never had a CD or DVD drive last more than 2 or 3 years in my desktop whether I used them much or not!
My laptop about 8 years old got it second hand 18 months ago still works also, go figure.

I would also try using a boot disk just to see if that works and removing/re-inserting the drive also if you haven't tried that yet but I suspect you have. Maybe also check that it hasn't been disabled in BIOS some how even though it was working to begin.

Maerskian

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41:33 am

Thanks for your message mate ;-)

MBMz10 wrote:Just some food for thought, the cleaning disc is around $25 AU may or may not work. You still have the cleaning disc to use on your car home DVD system etc.
USB DVD around $20 AU on ebay and seen internal DVD about same price also on ebay just for some options.
I never had a CD or DVD drive last more than 2 or 3 years in my desktop whether I used them much or not!
My laptop about 8 years old got it second hand 18 months ago still works also, go figure.

Since it's not my laptop ... and knowing my relative doesn't like to spend much on this old laptop ( battery is dead since long ago, he thought useless to buy a new one... and it's not like i disagree to be honest , but i'm not partial to laptops... never been, so my opinion about those is always biased ) ... i know buying a cleaning disc is off the table .

Tried fitting the dvd drive from my own laptop... but it doesn't ... maybe i'll have to try again, but can't find the way .

I would also try using a boot disk just to see if that works and removing/re-inserting the drive also if you haven't tried that yet but I suspect you have. Maybe also check that it hasn't been disabled in BIOS some how even though it was working to begin.

Removing/re-inserting the drive is something i managed my relative to learn when he had a similar issue like half a year ago. It worked that time, but he tried again ( myself as well ) but this time it didn't :/ .

Didn't try using a boot disk yet, so actually that's also another option to the list, thanks for that . Also, i know i should have checked the BIOS first & foremost ... but as years passs, one learn ( or rather ... unlearn ) to jump to conclusions and skip the basic few first steps, thanks for remind me of that .

Time to try a few of these things now, will update ... today... or tomorrow :)

Thanks again

Maerskian

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31:46 am

- Opened up the drive ... looked nice - no traces of dirt ... cleaned anyway ... same result :/
- Checked the BIOS ... everything fine there
- Need to try with a boot drive ... but that'll be tomorrow... not much hope there anyways, looks like it's just out of service for good :|

Maerskian

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08:47 pm

Final update:

Tried the last two things mentioned... nothing worked :|

Anyways... right now that laptop is already back on his owner's hands. He'll be buying an external dvd drive, SSD ... and we'll probably try to fit the old HDD on the dvd bay using an adapter.

Thanks to everybody