This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Solved -Software updater just hangs at checking dependencies

Markdh

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:26:45 pm

Hi All
I am having issues with updates. Whenever updater runs automatically I get an error that I send in to Zorin. When I try to update manually. software updater opens up and then hangs while it says it is checking dependencies. I am running Zorin OS12 ultimate. I don't use linux much so I am at a lose as to what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40:36 pm

Hi, start Software Updater then click on Cancel. When it has settled, click on Settings, go to first tab and change server location to Main Server. ;) :D

Markdh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33:54 am

Thanks for the response. I tried your idea but when I start software updater there is no cancel option. Only way to cancel is to hit stop. It says it is canceling but is actually hung. Have to restart to get rid of it. I tried it multiple times but no matter how fast I hit stop, the results are the same. Is there another way to get to the server setting?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43:47 am

OK, let's see if we can update via the terminal first:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you get packages held or broken you need to install Synaptic Package Manager from Software and see if we can progress from there.

Markdh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15:10 pm

swarfender437 Thank you for all your help. It looks like all is well again. My mind is not what it once was so I truly appreciate your help. I will mark this thread as solved.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14:07 pm

You are not the only one - got home to do some browsing from work in the menu and the other way of getting to where you want is:

Menu | System Tools | Software and Updates.

;) :D

Markdh

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43:26 pm

Yes I had tried that one. I think there are 4 ways to get to updater through the menus but they all just hung before. After your fix I tried two or three of them and they all work now.

Thanks again