This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

disk left message

Jesse

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:59:43 pm

I kept getting a disk space left warning saying I only had about 1 GB remaining. When I called up gParted, it showed I had 1GB left on the root partition, which was originally 30 gig. The home partition was hardly used, so I increased the size of the root by 30 gig (from 30 to @60GB) and reduced the home partition accordingly. Now it looks like this:

gParted.jpg

- I suspect this will get rid of the "disk space warning" message but am I doing this right? Why isn't the "home" partition being used by the operating system? Shouldn't there be a striped line around all 3 hard ware boxes (root, home, swap) making it act like one hard drive? The idea of having a partition with the OS on it was so when the next version comes out, I can just overwrite the root partition saving all my data on the home partition.
- how do I get rid of the 1MB unallocated space in between the root and home? I'm requesting "0" bytes between partitions but it gives me a MB of space I apparently can't use.
- if this is the way this OS works, the home partition could be really small, is that right?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51:32 pm

Hi, I would backup any critical data, delete /home, then unmount swap and delete that. Next make the free space into an extended partition, put swap at the end as before then everything in front of swap as /home.

Jesse

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45:07 pm

Anyone else have any ideas?

My understanding for putting the root on a different partition was so when the new version came out, you could simply overwrite the Operating System on the root while all your data remains untouched on the home partition. With the exception of maybe a few passwords and settings, it appears all my data is being stored on the root so when I install the new version, overwriting the root will cause me to lose data. Am I getting that right?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39:20 pm