This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Weather App?

mdiemer

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:54:25 pm

I just saw that I had an update called Xfce weather something. I installed it, but I am not sure what it is, or where to find it. Is it an app I need to install from the software store?

MBMz10

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18:01 am

Assuming you are using Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta
There is a 'weather app' pre-installed called Weather, Menu>Accessories>Weather, mine is currently version 3.18.1

Also if you right click the panel>Panel> + add new items... and then scroll down there is a weather app for the panel in xfce DE. Mine wont work (no data available) for Melbourne Australia, Paris France or Paris Canada just for a few locations to test. Think I had this stop working on Linux Mint xfce install on my laptop recently. Strangely enough the weather app in Cairo Dock stopped working a year or more ago and started working again recently.

Note sure which one your update might be referring to though, I would guess the one in the panel if it had xfce in its name

mdiemer

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:14:49 am

That's funny, on my Beta Lite install I don't have "weather" listed in the start menu. I tried the one you suggested, but as you said, no data available. It said I should set a location in the plug-in settings, but I have no idea what that is. Oh well, can live without it for now. Don't want to spend too much time customizing a beta, but I'm spending all my time on it! As has been pointed out in you tube videos, this beta must be very close to being born. It just seems like a finished product.

MBMz10

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32:43 am

Oh, maybe I installed the Weather app from the software centre, looks about the same as the one from Zorin 12 Core/Ultimate from my apparently bad memory.
If you follow the steps above to 'add' the weather to the xfce panel you should see it turn up in the panel, likely says 'no data' or such. Right click it and choose properties to entry your location etc.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:45:34 am

MBMz10

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:17:44 pm

Tried it and this happened

Code:
bradley@bradley-VirtualBox:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dtl131/mediahacks
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~dtl131/ubuntu/mediahacks'.
ERROR: '~dtl131' user or team does not exist.
bradley@bradley-VirtualBox:~$

I see the post was from 2014 so maybe out of date :(

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20:03 pm

My bad searched for XFCE weather applet 2017 should have looked more osely. :oops:

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:22:45 pm