This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Zorin 10 - Do I need Gnome for Gnome Tweak Tools?

DivergentDroid

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14:18 am

I am using Zorin 10 64 bit and want to try Mycroft, an open source virtual assistant. It seems complicated to set up but the easy way is to use a "Mycroft-AI-Gnome-Shell-Extension" (https://github.com/lolstring/gnome-shel ... on-mycroft) via Gnome Tweak Tools. This Gnome extension will allow you to download install the software. The first steps in the install guide (https://github.com/lolstring/gnome-shel ... stallation) is to get Tweak Tools, open it and go to the extensions tab. I managed to download Tweak Tools but there is no extension tab showing. I wonder if this is because I don't have a complete version of Gnome installed or if it's something else. What do I need to make the Extensions tab show up, do I need to install the Gnome desktop environment?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50:22 am

Zorin 10 is no longer supported - you would be better to update your machine to Zorin 12 which contains Gnome Shell, and Extensions! ;) :D

DivergentDroid

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36:49 pm

Ahh.. Well yeah, that's why I ask the community for support and besides i'm not a paid user. That's a bummer cus I've tried 12 and hated it as much as I hate windows 10. On 12 I miss the Zorin Menu and all the right click context menus.. well for everything. I feel 12 was an attempt to make Linux easier for new windows users making the switch but it falls short because without any right click context menus, lacks the intuitiveness that comes with other versions - including windows. But hey, perhaps I'm using it wrong, and not seeing it's good side.

So, If I use 12 is there a way to make the desktop look and behave like in Zorin 10? If I stick to 10 is there a way to install Gnome to do what I need to do?

MBMz10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19:53 pm

Cant help with your original question but Zorin 12 (12.1) now has right clicking in the menu available, reinstall 12 and update it or download 12.1 and check it out or try it in a VM first.

DivergentDroid

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05:48 pm

MBMz10 - Ahh.. I didn't update to 12.1. I can try that, Thanks. If I stick with it though I would still want to change the menu completely to something more Zorin 10 menu like. Can I do this even if I have to install AWN or Xfce to get the look and features I want and still have Gnome extensions working? Edit: Or can I do this with Gnome itself?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:37:46 pm

AWN is a dead project friend. Just discovered Gno-menu extension for a different kind of menu altogether, with three items. Will do a quick video later this week. ;) :D

You could always install Cinnamon! ;)

DivergentDroid

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54:37 am

I wonder if your talking about this one http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/glob ... evelopment /Gnome-Global-AppMenu LOL Saw it last night. I was tempted to play with it but haven't yet. I'd break something then have to come bug you guys to help me fix it. Ha. No wonder you mentioned Cinnamon. (The only Cinnamon I know was Mint Cinnamon and I didn't like it.} Thanks Swarfendor437

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45:44 am

Nope! Stand by for an amazing menu to replace the Z - but not if you are a Buddhist. ;)

DivergentDroid

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:42:47 pm

Swarfendor437, I'm not a Buddhist. Slaughter all the sacred cows you need to make this work, I'll be patient. I'll take one new Z Menu medium rare please with a side of chips. Looking forward to your video. Thanks.

mdiemer

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14:55 pm

Don't like the Zorin menu? Wow, I can't imagine why. I'm so glad they kept it for Lite. Best menu ever IMHO.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:16:39 pm

DivergentDroid wrote:Swarfendor437, I'm not a Buddhist. Slaughter all the sacred cows you need to make this work, I'll be patient. I'll take one new Z Menu medium rare please with a side of chips. Looking forward to your video. Thanks.

You are not aware of the issue then facing the Gnome Project? What part of the human body is detested by Buddhists? The same as the avatar for Gnome - the foot. ;)

Here is the video - enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/222391756

Don't forget to switch to 720 HD ;-)

DivergentDroid

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23:25 pm

mdiemer wrote:Don't like the Zorin menu? Wow, I can't imagine why. I'm so glad they kept it for Lite. Best menu ever IMHO.

It's 12's version I don't like. I did love 10's version. just compare the two, In my opinion, it's not as stylish, takes up tons of room compared to 10's and it's not very configurable. I'll try to stick with 12 to make Mycroft work if the Boss here can get me a different more 10 like menu.. or at least a menu I can more configure/tweak. - Swarfendor437 didn't have to look into this for me, he's a busy fellow. I do very much appreciate it.

I was a member here under a different name when 10 came out. The email service I registered under is no longer and I couldn't remember my password, so I made a new account. I remember Swarfendor437 and Wolfman always being very helpful and patient. I couldn't be happier with this community.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48:29 pm

Did you check out the video? ;)

DivergentDroid

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32:08 am

Swarfendor437 it looks great. Thanks again for your time.. I'll be happy to try it out. I updated my 12 to 12.1 and can now see the extensions to install Mycroft as well as the right click menus. Thanks a lot guys. I'll mark as solved.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50:06 am

Just a quick update - my Gno-Menu has started to play up - shortcut down left side to Home and other folders now gone and some elements showing when told to turn off! Guess it could be a conflict with Zorin or the app needs updating to match kernel updates? ;)

DivergentDroid

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28:23 pm

Swarfendor437- Thanks mate, I'll be wary of the bugs. I won't blame you if my computer starts to lay eggs. LOL I'll test in a VM before I write the changes to hard drive. I will keep an eye out for any new info you may find about the Gno Menu. If it doesn't work out, well no harm done, at least I can use the system for what I want to do now.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25:31 pm

Well I might just do a bit longer video to show all the additional 'add-ons' of Gno-Menu - stay tuned! ;) :D