This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't 'Try" Zorin - system lock - SOLVED

Hudgen

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28:22 pm

I have been using Ubuntu MATE for a year and want to try Zorin but seem to be having problems. I downloaded the iso, burned to a disk and booted. Everything starts fine but when I click on "Try Zorin" not "Install Zorin", everything goes black and lock up. It takes a hard boot to recover so can someone explain what's going on?

I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop w/4G memory and 120G hard drive. This laptop has a Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 graphics . . . everything runs great w/Ubuntu.

Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37:27 am

When the iso boots, do you see little man = keyboard? when that appears, press space bar - language selection opens - if English OK, press Escape key then press F3 to select keyboard language. Then Escape from that and press F6 and select acpi=off and nomodeset. Keep us posted! ;) :D

Hudgen

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28:51 am

Swarfendor437 - that worked! I'm in and everything works.

Next question - can you play DVD's and video's, are the codecs installed?

THANKS for the help :D :D :D :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36:08 pm

Yes you should be able to play DVDs but I don't use the computer much for DVD's; try Player. For music I prefer Clementine, especially the visualisation projectM:

https://vimeo.com/63678606