This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Kernel 4.8.0-x and Zorin 12.1

Finston Pickle

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20:33 am

I have noticed in Ubuntu Cleaner that both kernel 4.4.0-x and 4.8.0-x are now both installed.

I found a comment at http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/down ... 6-04-2-lts

“If, however, you want to reap the hardware support improvements of the Linux Kernel 4.8 and associated goodies you’ll need to opt-in to receive them.

How? By running one single, simple command:

sudo apt install --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04”

Do we need to do anything in Zorin 12.1 Ultimate to take advantage of Linux Kernel 4.8?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43:28 pm

There was some other poster who broke his Zorin install blaming Zorin. Please remember that Zorin strive for stability. When it is safe to do so I expect it will filter down in due course through system updates. As an allegorical example, would you replace Windows 7 Kernel with that of Windows 10 and expect it to work? ;)

Finston Pickle

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32:58 pm

No - it was just that kernel 4.8.0-x has arrived via Software Updater.

Perhaps Software Updater is not controlled by Zorin - I thought that it would be.

Which software update channel is the one controlled by Zorin, I wonder?

Not bothered - only curious to understand.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03:13 pm

If you launch Software and Updates and then go to authentication tab you will see a Zorin PPA so that as well as key updates from the Ubuntu server it will also pull Zorin updates. I don't know how all of it works but I suspect there will be some form of script to prevent higher kernels from crashing Zorin. ;)