This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVEDTrouble Updating Zorin 12 Lite

mdiemer

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:32:30 am

Just installed Zorin 12 Lite as I saw from the forum that is is now available. I did a fresh install, rather than update the beta. But, just as I did with the beta, I'm already having trouble with the first update. I tried disabling additional drivers and copyrighted material, as well as running <apt-get install -f>, but this time it did not work, the installer bogs down about halfway through. I'm thinking of reinstalling, but this time opting to install updates during the install. Hopefully that will work. But then the problem may crop up again next time I try to update.

Not sure if this problem is unique to this computer, or if others are experiencing it. It has happened with other GNU/Linux distros, such as Solus. Ubuntu Mate and LXLE are updating fine on this machine.

MBMz10

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:01:30 am

I have installed it a few times (and the Education version) on 2 different hardware platforms (and in VM's) one low spec (1Ghz dual core 4GB ram) one Medium (3Ghz dual core 4GB ram) and not had any issues. Normally I just take the defaults unless some other reason, Multimedia codecs and erase disk, then let it do its thing. As my 'hardware' installs are both on WiFi don't think I selected to do updates during installation and the VM's I don't recall.

Are you running the 'Software Updater' or using the 'software centre' called just 'Software' in the menu? I have found that the software centre seems to cause issues, both in the Lite and Main/Core versions of Zorin 12 so just run the software updater! I also install Synaptic and use that for any other software I want installed. The Zorin Web Browser Manager seems to work OK as well.

My installs seems to be running rather well at this stage, in fact I would say even better than the main Ultimate/core versions as I haven't had 'Internal Errors' with the Lite versions and the weather app in the xfce panel works a treat!

MBMz10

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53:25 am

I just checked the low spec PC, ran software updater it said up to date. Ran Software and it showed '1' update which had about 5 items when I double clicked it.
Next ran sudo apt update in terminal, it said updates available, run apt --upgradable and about 7 updates appeared, ran sudo apt upgrade, said y for yes all good.
Started 'Software' again, still showing updates, clicked install and after a few seconds it stopped, refreshed itself and said up to date.

Don't quote me on the exact commands used above but you get the idea!

mdiemer

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:57:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try your ideas and see what happens.

mdiemer

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07:50 pm

Not working out for me, unfortunately. I got an error when updating through the terminal. This system must have some weird thing where it has problems updating certain distros. I had the same problem with Z12 core and Ultimate. That's why I was excited about Lite. The problem happened on the beta, but I managed to solve that. Still considering reinstalling and having it fetch all updates during install, and see where that gets me. I'll fool around some more though before taking that drastic a step.

mdiemer

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39:13 am

I reinstalled, and that went fine. System is up to date. However, the problem may recur, so stay tuned. I really hope this is going to work out, it boots very fast and is so well-designed intuitively and aesthetically. I love it. I just need it to update properly. Or do I? Should I just keep it as is? Maybe wait until the bugs get worked out better?

mdiemer

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11:32 am

Another problem: when I go to Software Center, I get "No application Data Found." I remember this happened at first with the beta, but leaving it sit awhile solved the problem. I have tried it several times, however, and given it over an hour, and nothing happens.

MBMz10

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28:31 am

I've just installed fresh both the Lite and the Lite Education versions into a VM. Haven't updated the Education version yet as I am going to leave it running for a while and see same as you did.

The Lite install after rebooting, I ran the software updater and it found about 83MB of updates, I cancelled it and ran 'Software' (software centre) and tried updating from it, it found the updates but after about 30 or 40 minutes looked like it was stalled so I cancelled it and used the 'Software Updater' which said 'already downloaded' but seemed to work OK.
I rebooted and ran the updater again, it said up to date yet when I ran Software (software centre) it showed about 5 updates, all had Pulse (audio) in there names and it ran ok.
Next opened terminal and ran sudo apt update then sudo apt upgrade and no updates found just some I could 'autoremove' so I did. All looked good from here on in.
I noticed the first time I tried to use 'Software' (centre) and it failed, I was never asked for password yet the software updater did ask to authenticate!
Software (centre) never asked for a PW for the 5 pulse updates either but noticed over the years that Zorin does this sometimes, not sure why. My Linux Mint machine always ask for PW regardless as do most other Distro's I've tried.

MBMz10

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:57:15 am

Well the Education (lite) had been sitting idle for about 30 minutes, opened Software (centre) got the no application data thing, had to click on the top buttons, All Installed Updates, a few times then it finally said up to date. Ran the software updater, it found 80MB or so of updates, cancelled it and went back to Software (centre) and it showed the available updates now. I cancelled it and used the terminal as explained above and all looks good. Opened Software (centre) after terminal finished and updates still showing, rebooted and they no longer showing.
Far as I can tell the Software Centre is a little slow or buggy, think I remember the main Zorin 12 Core being like this also.

Incidentally I'm still on "Server for Australia" and not yet changed to "Main Server" on these installs but cant say I noticed any difference with regards to these issues over the last few days of testing and trying Zorin Lite on hardware and VM's, I've installed it (Lite and Education versions) 6 or 8 times at a guess.

Other than these little things I also think it is a really good Distro, in fact I put it on my shed PC just to try it on real hardware and I might just leave it there for a while. Zorin have always made beautiful looking Distro's IMHO and as that is what your looking at when using your PC it may as well be pleasing to you!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:14:55 pm

Hi Guys, not running Lite yet - been too busy! There were some packages that needed reinstalling in Core/Ultimate that resolved the Software issue for me - no time to search now but search my posts on Software. ;) :D