This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved)To Update Or Not To Update?

mdiemer

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44:41 am

So, now that I have a fully functioning Zorin 12 Lite, should I try the latest update? I reinstalled yesterday with in-place updating, so I would have an up to date system, and avoid the update problem I've been having. My system was up to date until a few hours ago, when it showed an OS update available. But I'm reluctant to install it. I'm afraid the same problem will happen - the update gets stalled about halfway through. Any tips on how to proceed? Disable proprietary drivers, copyrighted material? Update through terminal? Or should I just go for it, and hope for the best?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05:41 pm

I would use redobackup CD to backup your entire working system, then go for the updated install - how you proceed to do it is up to you. ;) :D

MBMz10

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03:39 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would use redobackup CD to backup your entire working system, then go for the updated install - how you proceed to do it is up to you. ;) :D

I would do similar to what Swarfendor437 has said in your case, however I don't care if I break my install at this stage so I have been 'testing' it a bit :D
No Operating Systems were harmed in the making of this post ;)

I think our OS's installs are both a few days old now, this is what I just did. Mine is 12.1 Lite 64 bit on hardware.

Started Software (centre) clicked updated tab, your system is up to date.
Ran the Software Updater which found about 12MB of updates, don't think I've ran it for a day or so, then closed Software Updater and went back to Software (centre) which was now showing 3 updates, OS with about 12 updates within it, Wine and VLC neither of which I checked within. I started at the bottom, VLC clicked install, waited for it to finish and refresh then the same with Wine then OS updates and all went well, I was not asked for a Password. I ran the Software Updater again and it was up to date.

Just to double check, in terminal ran sudo apt update then sudo apt upgrade which said some could be removed so ran autoremove and then the same first 2 commands again and it came up smelling of roses, all good.
Software (centre) seemed to run fine, it only took a few seconds to refresh etc after each install/update, don't know if something in the last day or so has changed with it but seemed fine to me.

Unfortunately your going to have to update at some stage, take the plunge as they say. I think earlier the better before you have invested to much time and effort into the system but that is just my opinion and as I said I'm not worried about breaking my system, I would use the terminal if I was in your situation now given the recent history, until things settled down (stabilized) but again just my opinion.

Another thing I often do after initial testing when I think I know what I'm doing ( :lol: ) and how I'm going to proceed with the installation that I hope to use for some time is to make an image of the whole disk, that way I can recover and start breaking it again in about 30-40 minutes.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:29:08 am

Thanks for the help Swarf, MBMz10. I decided to just go for it. Zorin 12 Lite updated flawlessly this time. Restarted computer to complete update, and all is well. Yahoo!
I'm wondering if it is better to check the box that says to install updates during installation. It may get you past whatever problem was hanging me up. Doing installation that way, and then doing the updates that show up after installation, seems to have fixed things for me.
FYI, Zorin 12 Lite is booting faster than my other two distros, LXLE and Ubuntu Mate. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly. I am going to take the advice of making a system image. I use Clonezilla for that. I'm first going to copy my documents, music etc from my other distros. Things are looking good now!

Addendum: Should point out that I updated from the little red ball with the line through it, which showed up on the lower right of panel. And when I click it now, it says system is up to date. However, when I open Software Center, it says I have updates to install. I am not going to go that route, will rely instead on the notification on the panel.

MBMz10

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29:11 am

Good to hear.

I just updated two VM's of Zorin 12.1 one was Lite and the other Education. I also got the red disk near the clock but just went to Software (centre) and clicked the main install button on the title bar and all the updates happened smoothly in about 1 minute then it said up to date so all good.
This had been causing problems for me also up until now so not sure if some previous update fixed it but worked as expected today.

mdiemer

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01:16 am

Just did another round of updates, using the red ball with a line through it on the panel. That's two successful rounds of updates now. Yippe Caye Coyo!