This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Intermittent wifi issues

oxxi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41:07 pm

The computer is running Zorin 12 and was originally connected to dsl internet. We have recently upgraded our internet to another company and it's cable now. They installed a Netis WF2123 wifi adapter since the cable does not reach the computer. All the devices in the house connect fine to the wifi signal with no issues except the computer with Zorin. It works fine for a bit and then it stops working. You can usually get it to work again by restarting the PC or switching the wifi on and off. There was a tech that came by and switched the wifi router to WPA2 and it worked for a bit and then it stops working again. So I'm not sure what to try next. I'm thinking of reinstalling the driver for the adapter myself but since the internet works sometimes, maybe there must be a misconfiguration in the network settings?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13:50 am

Hi, please see if the last post in this thread helps:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/777935/ ... o-internet

oxxi

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43:21 pm

Ok so I edited the /etc/resolv.conf file and added the:
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

It works for longer times now but it still has intermittent issues. I noticed in the resolv.conf file that there was a line that said:
Code:
socal.rr.com

I commented that out. Do I need to put that back? I'm assuming it was for the ISP.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13:56 pm

Don't know what this means but suggest you check this out:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/domain/so ... formation/

oxxi

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42:16 pm

I checked out that link and googled the socal.rr.com and it looks like it was just a dns server for Time warner/ Road runner. I'm still having issues with the internet though.

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:00:57 pm

Hi, oxxi.

I have a similar issue in the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13267

linx has suggested some tests - maybe you are up for and able to try them.

Good Luck.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:31:15 pm