This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Stuck at boot <-> recovery mode resume boot

temp7

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31:24 am

Hi all,
When I turn on my pc, it boots Zorin automatically but gets stuck on the screen with the Zorin-logo. I usually stop waiting after ten minutes of being stuck.However, when I select advanced system settings (or something; can't remember the exact name) and then click resume boot, everything works fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55:01 am

Hi, go to advanced, but choose second option (safe/recovery mode). When you are presented with menu (and make sure you have Internet connection for this, select DPKG and once it has finished DON'T select 'Continue' but switch off your machine and reboot. If the problem persists there could be a kernel conflict with your hardware if this problem still continues. Make a note of the kernel number in advanced mode that works and at no stage select autoremove if it should come up as this would remove your good working kernel! Keep us posted.

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:34:16 pm

If you are a new user with no real data to loose, perhaps a fresh install is the way to go - I had quite a bit of teething trouble as you can see in the record.

Zorin 12 Ultimate is well worth the money (~£15) and you get full support from the developers for free (as well as this forum) - just let Zorin 12 do a clean install, but do use a DVD (I could not get the USB method to work and it is a devil to delete content or reformat them afterwards).

Good luck and keep smiling!

temp7

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:41:07 pm

The DPKG-option unfortunately didn't solve anything.
Zorin 4.1.0.28-generic (recovery mode) works fine, but it's a pity I always need to go to advanced for that. Especially because +- four weeks ago everything went well.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:08:10 am

OK, all I can think is that there must be a hardware compatibility issue with your hardware and the newer kernel. Boot into your second option, and if not installed, install synaptic package manager from Software. Before removing the newest kernel, see if there are any broken packages which you can select from the menu. If there are no broken packages simply search for kernel in the search filter, check mark all the packages, kernel, header, extra that have the newest kernel number for removal and then click on apply from the menu.