This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot delete files under Synology Shared folder, pls. help!

abctmp88

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24:34 am

Dear all,

* Assumes
# Client PC: ZorinOS12.1 ( Zorin-OS-12.1-Core-64.iso ), AsRock J3160 mini-ITX, 8GB Ram, 120GB-SSD
# NAS Server: Synology Diskstation DS716+II, with DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 1

I have successfully auto-mounted shared folders to my Client PC running ZorinOS12.1 thru "NFS" according to this URL:
https://www.ryananddebi.com/2013/01/15/ ... ogy-shares

However, it's weired that using ZorinOS's default file manager "Nautilus":
(1) for files under the shared folders, e.g. "folder1", "folder2", & "folder3", I can create or paste new files, change file names, but CANNOT delete any one of them ;
(2) but for the home directory of the Synology user "user1", it's normal

and:
(3) In terminal mode, I CAN delete files in shared folders, e.g. folder1, using the "rm" command, whether or not I am a root user or NOT; but failed to do so in GUI Nautilus File Manager.

(4) Using Nautilus File Manager, I CAN delete file of home folder of a synology user, e.g. user1, normally.

(5) If I mount synology shared folder thru Nautilus File Manager (it seems that it use "gvfs" to do the mounting), e.g folder1,
-> I CAN delete files under synology shared folder using Nautilus File Explorer
-> However, many other applications, such as Firefox, Google Chrome, NotepadQQ, XnViewMP, CANNOT see the mounted folder directly, and can only see it by browsing into the folder "/run/user/1001/gvfs/smb-share:server=hnas3.local,share=folder1"
-> Although other applications can see this shared folder, but they, e.g. XnViewMP, CANNOT save file into it.

So any suggestions to solve problem: "cannot delete files" of shared folder (mounted thru NFS) using Nautilus File Manager?

Thanks for any kinds of help!

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:18:54 pm

I'm having trouble understanding who is the owner of the shared files and suspect only the owner is able to delete. If other shared users ain't save then they need to be members of the same group with same permissions? Sorry I can't help any further as I am a user who uses their computer as simple as possible. ;) :D

abctmp88

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:43:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm having trouble understanding who is the owner of the shared files and suspect only the owner is able to delete. If other shared users ain't save then they need to be members of the same group with same permissions? Sorry I can't help any further as I am a user who uses their computer as simple as possible. ;) :D

Hi Swarfendor,

Do you use Synology NAS server or other NAS server?
-> If yes, any problems accessing the shared folder of NAS server from you client PC running ZorinOS12?

Any other members facing similar problems like me?

Thanks for any kind of help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:45:36 am

Hi, no I don't have a NAS as not a priority for me. My prime concern is backing up off-line as with the last known variant of Crypto Locker could identify what external drives are connected to the machine.

qnarkill

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:23:17 pm

http://www.authenticdesign.co.uk/using- ... ology-nas/
Would this help..? Its not exactly your problem but could tickle your problem.