This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Having trouble changing mouse cursor

wombat140

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01:59 pm

I'm trying to change the mouse pointer, following the instructions I found on a website: http://debianrules.blogspot.co.uk/2005/ ... gnome.html Extracted the folder into /usr/share/icons, edited the text file in the "default" theme so that it now reads
[Icon Theme]
Inherits=Classic-Flat-White
(that's all that's in the file). But it hasn't done it. Or rather, when the mouse is on the desktop and taskbar it dispalys the new cursor, but when it's in any window, it displays the default Zorin one. Any idea how to fix this, please?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38:28 pm

Afraid this is a bug in Gnome Desktop I believe. Just been trying to find similar issue and stumbled on this nugget of information:

"It's not a problem to actually install the mouse cursor, it's a problem to make it work system wide.

Unlike themes, which are straightforward, you need to edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme, with sudo, to make it work systemwide."

from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comment ... _still_so/

wombat140

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57:16 am

Thanks for the ansewr. But I have edited it already. (Said so above actually).
Someone in the Ubuntu IRC (even though it turned out Ishouldn't really have been there) suggested a thing called update-alternatives, but that only listed 7 options, which didn't include the new one nor half the other (pre-installed) onesin th /icons folder. Any idea?

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26:48 pm

Not clear to be honest - there does appear to be a focus issue where it works in active window and not on desktop - sure it was a bug or something - I will try the method I referred to and post back in due course. Apologies for the reply - been on hols and chilling on PS4 on my return! ;) :D

wombat140

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58:59 pm

Ah, I get you. hope you had a nice time! Thans for helping me out. It may seem like an unimportant point, but in fact I have autstis spectrum sensory issues and being suddenly faced with the "loading" animation is really uncomfortable for me - so that's why I'm bothered about it!

Mine's the pther way round. The new cursors appear on the desktop but not in the active window. And the "loading" cursor is still the same even on the desktlp, which is strange - it's not as if the new set doesn't contain one or anything, it does and it's not like that.

update-alteernatives is a command-lineinstruction, by the way, if you were thinking of checing on t - the full thing is "sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme #" - sorryh I didn't epxaalin that properly last time, it was late at night.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:47:46 pm

OK, How about this? And I am very pleased to say there is no change from active Window to desktop! :D :D :D :

Hackneyed Cursor.jpg

Here is where I got it from:

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999998/

I opened a terminal and 'cd'd' as follows:

swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:~$ cd ..
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/home$ cd ..
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/$ cd usr
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/usr$ cd share
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/usr/share$ cd icons
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/usr/share/icons$ dir
Adwaita handhelds Paper-Mono-Dark ZorinBlue-Light
breeze hicolor redglass ZorinGreen-Dark
breeze-dark HighContrast suru ZorinGreen-Light
cab_extract.png Humanity ubuntu-mobile ZorinGrey-Dark
cab_view.png Humanity-Dark ubuntu-mono-dark ZorinGrey-Light
default lmms.png ubuntu-mono-light ZorinOrange-Dark
default.kde4 locolor unity-icon-theme ZorinOrange-Light
DMZ-Black LoginIcons unity-webapps-applications ZorinPurple-Dark
DMZ-White londonlaw.png whiteglass ZorinPurple-Light
gnome oxygen Zorin ZorinRed-Dark
Hackneyed-64x64 Paper ZorinBlue-Dark ZorinRed-Light
swarfendor437@zorin12164ultimate:/usr/share/icons$ cd ..

The last command takes you back to the top of 'icons' - you need to change ownership from root to yourself:

Code:
sudo chown [your username] icons

The downloaded theme is 64 x 64 - extract the tarball in your downloads folder it will create 'Hackneyed 64 x 64' folder - now copy this across into your usr | share | icons folder.

Then using 'gnome-tweak-tool' (Tweak Tool) Choose the theme as in the image above using the drop-down arrow! :D :D :D

wombat140

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:20:54 pm

That's got it! Thank you ever so much.

(all the following is just chattering, tl;dr)
How funny that Zorin doesn't come with a thing to adjust appreance! I was wondering about that, the existence of gnome-tweak-tool as a separate thing kind of answers that. To someone c oming from Windows, it seems such a basic thing, and having "themes" seems like a rather more advanced thing and it seems odd to have a function for that but not the basic settings editor! Well,, I have now, anyway. I suppose the thing is that the settings were always *there*, in the depths of the machine code, but what you still need is a window that's made to access them.

I'm steadily picking up bits of UNIX comma d-line language. I learn a few new 'words' every time I ask someone for help with a bug. It's not so completely different from MS-DOS, not that I can remember that much of that after all this time. (I see "md" doesn't do what I rememeber it doing in DOS but "mkdir" and "cd /" do.) One of these days if I want to get good at this I'll get a book about Linux - I have the kind of brain that needs paper books to do a good job. That might be fun. But at present I just want a computer I can use without too many questions being asked, and after several rounds of fiddling that's now pretty close to being what I've got! (And a full-scale artist's-quality graphics program thrown in, too, I didn't actually have one before, only Paint Shop Pro Lite which doesn't, for instance, support layers. Again, when I ahev time, I look forward to making GIMP's better acquaintance! Parents. Bring up your kids to forage for free stuff. You don't know the fun you're missing if you don't.)

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:56:08 pm

Glad you are now sorted - also pleased to see no animations with the theme from what I can tell - will mark as [SOLVED].

Inkscape and My Paint are also great graphics packages and in respect of Tweak Tool etc these should be present by default, not something migraters to Linux have to search for! ;) :D