This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HELP! My Zorin turned to Mint!

jotalandim

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:25:34 pm

I've been using Zorin for the past five or six months now, without any issues. Just about half an hour ago I thought it was slowing down and thought that maybe it was time for restarting it, and so I did. The first thing I found trange was that it was taking a lot longer than it used to, but after a while I was shown the familiar black screen with blue dots and the Zorin icon, asking me to log in to my account. I did so, as usual, but to my surprise the desktop was completely different. At first I though it may had been just a problem in the appearance settings, so I clicked the menu and pointed to "preferences", but then I noticed an option I had never seen before, an icon named "desklets". When I hovered over it, the description said "manage your Cinnamon desklets". WTF?! I've never downloaded Mint, in any flavor!
Next I went to the Software app, and saw there was an update pending there. I figured this might be the issue so I had it installed and was asked to restart the computer. The weirdest thing is that after selecting the "restart" option, the very first image I get is that of the big characteristic blue Z, which means I'm not really running Mint, or am I? What's happening? I'm not an expert user or something like it, and I have absolutely no idea what to do here. Can you guys help me revert to good old Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39:51 pm

Have you installed any themes from 3rd party sources at all? Can you upload a screenshot? ;) :D

jotalandim

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:43:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you installed any themes from 3rd party sources at all? Can you upload a screenshot? ;) :D

No, I haven't installed any themes at all. I'm actually pretty new to this whole Linux thing and not really computer savvy. I only install stuff from the "software" app, and the last things I remember installing were the OmegaT translation tool and a program to allow me to disable the laptop touchpad while I'm typing. Do you think that might be the problem?
Anyway, here's a screenshot of the desktop as it is now: https://prnt.sc/g8v1yo. The red icon on the bottom right corner was to say there were updates available, but I installed them and the icon remained there.
Thanks for the help.

mdiemer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48:02 pm

Yep, that looks like the cinnamon desktop alright. You can have that without Mint. I installed it on Ubuntu once. but it's not something you install by accident. In fact, it's a somewhat complicated procedure as I recall. This is really weird! I'd say you still have Zorin. Installing an entire operating system is even more complicated, so I don't see how you could possible have done that. But as to how you got a different desktop envmnt, I have no clue. but there must be a solution. Someone will figure it out.