This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] New user needing help with themes...

sessh

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39:50 pm

Okay, so I bought Zorin 12.1 Ultimate a week or so ago and have been messing around with it in VirtualBox both of which I was trying for the first time. I managed to do a lot of stuff in Zorin which is where I am posting this from and although I've figured out how to resolve most of the issues I was having, some still remain.

Namely, I'm having trouble installing themes. Numix is the only one I got to work and when I mean "work", I mean show up at all in either Zorin Appearance settings or either of Unity or Gnome Tweak Tools. Specifically, themes from http://www.ubuntuthemes.org/ site and the one theme I am trying to get working from that site is http://www.ubuntuthemes.org/downloads/hope-gtk3-1-2/.

So, what I have done is unzip the zip file, rename the folder inside to HopeGTK3 for the sake of simplicity and moved it to /usr/share/themes and that is where it is now with three folders inside (Hope, Hope DT and ptsans) which contain the files needed for the theme. However, it won't show up anywhere to select it as a theme. I have also tried putting it in /home/sessh/.themes to no avail. So, how exactly do I install these themes into Zorin? I would like to get a few different ones from that site, but I'd like to get one working first. There doesn't appear to be any installation instructions.

Any help for me? It would be much appreciated!

-Sessh

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44:50 pm

Hi, Take a look here:

https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes - this is what I have installed:

gnome-tweak-tool_008.jpg

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html is another source with links to other themes - to install just point to the downloaded tar.gz file and gnome-tweak-tool (Tweak Tool) should do the rest if memory serves correctly. ;) :D

Please note you should only be using 3.18 GTK themes with Zorin 12.1 (= Ubuntu 16.04.1)

Can you please delete your other duplicated post on this issue? Also as you are running Zorin in VM this could be the issue - I have no issue with the Zuki theme on my installed Zorin system.

MBMz10

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:52:39 am

Have you tried leaving the folder name as default after unzipping?
I have a few different themes and icons on my Z12 VM also and have found that not all of them work and usually putting themes and icons into the .themes and .icons under my /home/username usually works better than in the /usr/share/themes or icons.
I tried to test the one you linked to but they wanted too much info from me...

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51:44 pm

Hi MBMz10,

I have just installed a cursor theme from gnome-look.org which is a separate issue altogether and pleased to say that it works both on the desktop and active windows! - great for people who have issues with that painfully small DMZ cursor/s!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13349#p58567

sessh

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:44:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Take a look here:

https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes - this is what I have installed:

gnome-tweak-tool_008.jpg

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html is another source with links to other themes - to install just point to the downloaded tar.gz file and gnome-tweak-tool (Tweak Tool) should do the rest if memory serves correctly. ;) :D

Please note you should only be using 3.18 GTK themes with Zorin 12.1 (= Ubuntu 16.04.1)

Can you please delete your other duplicated post on this issue? Also as you are running Zorin in VM this could be the issue - I have no issue with the Zuki theme on my installed Zorin system.

Thanks, I will try that theme soon when I get the time and let you know. I really just want the blue color on highlighted folders/files in the file manager (Zumix uses red..meh) which that one seems to do. Also, every time I try to install something from noobslab, it ultimately says the folder isn't found. I also tried installing the Obsidian Icon theme (in home/sessh/.themes) to no avail. I was worried that the VM thing might be causing the issue which is just going to have to wait until I can get another hard drive to put it on since I don't want it to share a drive with Windows; just a preference.

That GitHub theme at least has directions which is nice and that HopeGTK theme has a gtk3 folder. As for the duplicate thread, I don't know how to delete it. I thought maybe I wasn't allowed to reference to websites which was keeping this one from passing through moderation, so I did the other one which was a mistake. Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'll post back here soon!

sessh

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21:04 pm

Okay, i found time. lol

After reading the few posts here, something dawned on me. I deleted the .themes and .icon folders and made new ones under the same name in home/sessh. I then copied the folders for the HopeGTK3 theme and the Zuki theme recommended to me here - the extra parent folder I was using (the folder created when I extracted the compressed file) and just used the dual pane in Nemo to copy the folders out of the compressed file right into the .themes folder and waa-laa, they both showed up in the tweak tool this time.

Unfortunately, Hope doesn't work right. The menu in Nemo is messed up and the background is white (instead of dark) and since the text is also white, that creates problems. The Zuki theme with the darker background works perfectly, so thank you! I tried again with the Obsidian icon theme in the same manner into the .icons folder and that also worked! I'm thrilled that I finally got the appearance I want all around for the most part!

Well, I'd show a screenshot if I could, but that's not working. lol (Edit: yes it is)

I will have more questions for the community here. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

-sessh

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58:55 pm

Glad to hear you are making steady progress - will mark as [SOLVED] ;) :D