This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] panel problem - Zorin 12 lite 64 Bit

Nalawork

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50:02 am

Hi, on my Laptop Dell 5440 with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD an Nividea Graphic card I installed Windows 10 and Zorin 12 lite 64 Bit. Zorin works very, very well and fast. Nevertheless there is very often a problem with the panel. When minimizing two windows of a programm to the panel its difficult to reopen (maximize) the windows back or to chose the one you want. The problem seems to be the group function, because different programms with different starters are not in a group and there is no problem to reopen the windwos from the panel. Any idea?

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03:13 am

MBMz10 uses Lite a lot - have you had similar issues MBMz10 at all? ;) :D

MBMz10

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26:22 am

Hi, not 100% sure I fully understand the question or nature of the problem however when creating panel shortcuts I prefer to launch the application and then right click its panel icon and choose "Pin Application" or "Make Custom Launcher" rather than creating them from the menu with a right click "Add to Panel" method.

See my Firefox screen shot with two windows open below. By Hovering the mouse over the Icon the Group Menu is displayed and can choose the one you want.
PanelGroup.png

VLC with Icon created from Menu right click, notice the 2 Icons (I moved the created one from the tray) side by side. Also the Firefox Icon has 2 dots below it indicating 2 Firefox windows open.
VLCPanel.png

If this is not your issue or maybe some other application causing it please post a screen shot.

Nalawork

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45:19 pm

Thank you for your answer. The screne of your firefox (the first screen) is like my screen. The problem is that very often I choose a open windows from the group menue and it don`t start or: the group-menue close before I have a chance to choose one. So this group function is not working for me, very often. The solution with "Pin Application" or "Make Custom Launcher" sounds brilliant!!! But its not working for me. It creates a new "static" icon for example and the windows look like are still in a group. Maybe the problem is that the panel entry is created automatically by installing. Do you remove the panel icons before and start to add them with the right click... ? But if I am the only one with this problem, maybe the panel is not working well with my graphic card Nvidia GeForce (N14M-GE) - 2 GB and I have to switch from xfce to another panel...

MBMz10

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10:44 am

Is your panel set on auto hide > always? I played around with my settings and think I got same behavior as you have when I changed to 'always' auto hide.
Same thing when the setting is set to 'intelligently' and a window is in the panel area, but if no windows are in the panel area it works fine.
One other thing I noticed is if I right click a window in the group on the panel and choose Maximize it will Maximize it but won't bring it to the front/make it the active window.
Try setting the panel to 'never' in auto hide and see if it works then, assuming your currently on 'always' or 'intelligently'.

Nalawork

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16:46 pm

You are my hero!!!!!! You are right! I set the panel to "never" and it works! I was on "intelligently".... Now everything is fine. Thank you!!!!

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:16:50 am

Great job MBMz10! Have marked as [SOLVED] :D