This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Need help/suggestions for torrent program . autostart

sessh

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54:47 pm

I am having problems with auto-starting scripts on startup. The one at the top of the list is the uTorrent server which i have to do manually from the terminal every time I want to use it. It's not hard to do so, but I would prefer it started automatically. What I do manually to start it is this:

cd /opt/utorrent*
./utserver -settingspath $(pwd)

Even if I set this text file as executable and set it to run in the Startup Applications window, it doesn't. I have looked into how to do this in other ways and find myself a bit overwhelmed as there doesn't seem to be one universal way to do this. I've tried editing files (local.rc I think?) to start it to no effect, then undo the changes I made that didn't work. I will eventually need to do this using the wine cmd prompt for simple little Windows batch files as well, but I'm not there yet.

So, how would I set the utorrent server to start successfully at startup so that I can just open my browser and go right to it and have it work as though I did it manually? Thanks in advance!

-sessh

(Also, if anyone knows of a program that will allow scheduling of tasks triggered to run at a certain time or after a certain event, let me know as well!)

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08:31 am

Does it have to be utorrent? My preferred torrent app is Deluge then you could set that up in startup applications. Please start a new thread for your other query. Thanks.

qnarkill

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:34:42 pm

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04:24 pm

Nice find qnarkill. ;) :D

qnarkill

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:11:41 pm

Your welcome :)

sessh

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does it have to be utorrent? My preferred torrent app is Deluge then you could set that up in startup applications. Please start a new thread for your other query. Thanks.

Hey great suggestion. The only reason I chose uTorrent is because I'm slowly trying to move from Windows 7 and uTorrent is brilliant there, but I am disappointed with it in Linux. Deluge is almost identical to uTorrent in Windows. I got libtorrent installed and Deluge worked fine when I tested it just now. I assume that I don't need to set anything to autostart with Deluge, right? I just open it when I want to use it and it just works? If so, you've made me convert to Deluge when using Linux! As for my other query, will do! I can wait a bit on that one anyways.

The other poster found a page I didn't find before, so thanks for that! I think you can probably mark this thread as solved based on that find alone though I didn't try it for myself. Deluge seems like a much better program and it was even in the repository for easy installation as well.

Edit: I just rebooted and opened Deluge to see if it would "just work" and it does beautifully. Thanks so much for the suggestion, Swarfendor. Also, thanks qnarkill for digging that site up as well even though it turned out I didn't need it. :mrgreen:

sessh

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does it have to be utorrent? My preferred torrent app is Deluge then you could set that up in startup applications. Please start a new thread for your other query. Thanks.

My only question with Deluge is with magnet links. I know there is a button in the Deluge preferences under "Other" that says "Associate Magnet Links with Deluge", but it doesn't seem to do anything. I click it and it pushes like a button, but it doesn't do anything. I click apply and try to use a magnet and it defaults to using Transmission instead. Any suggestions on this?

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:38:39 pm

sessh

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:00:03 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:https://askubuntu.com/questions/53102/how-to-open-magnet-links-from-firefox-with-deluge

Well, I don't use Firefox primarily. I use it to open one particular torrent site that will only open in Firefox for me (with an add-on), but my primary/everything browser is Slimjet (chromium). I was able to find the answer as your link pointed me in the right direction and found this page:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/108925/ ... ink#133693

Basically, the terminal command:

xdg-mime default deluge.desktop x-scheme-handler/magnet

..from the directory (in my case, the Docky launchers folder I made in Desktop folder) where the deluge.desktop file is worked for me. I also checked Firefox and magnets are set to use Deluge by default there as well, so all fixed! It would be nice if the button that is supposed to do this in the Deluge Preferences > Options section actually worked, though. Thanks for the help yet again!

-sessh

sessh

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07:13 am

With regards to making scripts or programs start on boot, is there a general way to do this? Will I have to learn how to write long, elaborate executable texts in order to do that? Is it different for every program and thus, a new thread would be needed for each specific program?

I edited the thread title to be a more accurate indicator of the contents of this thread.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:32:22 am

If I understand correctly scripts would probably be needed:

1. In relation to apps installed that did not come from Software sources; and/or

2. You wanted apps to complete certain action/s upon launch.

I am no scripted so searched for examples:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/660901/ ... -autostart

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/370 ... untu-16-04

Bonus:

2 ways of installing 3rd party apps at bottom of this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/761210/ ... are-center

sessh

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:51:16 pm

Thanks for the links. I must say though that this is one thing that is way more difficult than it should be in Zorin. In WIndows, it's as easy as writing/having a batch file and if I wanted it to start at boot or at a certain time, just pointing the task scheduler right at the batch file with conditions specified is sufficient to make it work. This kind of process seems overly complicated to do in Linux as do a few other things, but overall, I can see myself using Zorin more and more especially once I get to the point of putting it on it's own drive. I do hope some of this stuff is made easier as Zorin continues to progress, though.

At any rate, it's nice to know there's a community here to help out if needed. :) Thanks again.

-sessh