This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Trouble with Steam

queien

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:24:53 am

Having trouble getting Steam to work on a laptop with Zorin 6. I've tried a bunch of different things, but none have worked. It will update itself just fine, and then it will say it's unpacking steam run time and then I'll get the error message "fatal error failed to load steamui.so"

When I tried opening it through the terminal, after successfully updating, it gave me the following (there were a lot more lines starting with ERROR, but it made it so long that I couldn't post this message, so I trimmed most of them since they were all similar):

Code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Running Steam on zorin 6 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/sabrina/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:26794): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1500335472)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1500335472)
Failed to load steamui.so - dlerror(): /home/sabrina/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_fd

What do?

queien

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45:24 pm

I figured it out. In case anyone else needs help and stumbles upon this, I did the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge steam

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Code:
sudo apt-get install steam

This was one of the first things I'd tried and it didn't work then (libs failed to install), so it might be working in combination with one of the many other fixes I'd attempted. Still, this was the final thing I tried and now it starts up just fine.