This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] PrtScr doesn't copy content to clipboard

MSXManiac

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54:12 pm

Well folks, I've used PrintScreen or Alt + PrintScreen many times to take snapshots of the screen in the Zorin operating system.
I recently had to do a fresh installation and this time I used the iso of version 12.2 to install it,
Unfortunately I have discovered that for some reason I do not know why this is no longer working.
I tested it in live mode and the same thing happens.
When you press the PrintScreen key you hear the characteristic sound of a shutter, but nothing is copied to the clipboard
It simply does not open the dialog box to choose to save or copy to the clipboard.
Even using to paste in GIMP, a box opens stating that it has no images on the clipboard.
What is happening in ZorinOS 12.2 that this no longer works?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:59:03 pm

On my keyboard I have to press Shift and Print Screen which then produces a cross-hair - draw round the area you want and press enter - it gets saved as a .png to Pictures automatically - well it does for me - Started with Zorin 12 Ultimate 64-bit which, as a rolling release, is now 12.2. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41:45 am

I have standard the program 'screenshot' open when starting up (adding with favorite for achieving that)
it gives me all the efficiencies I want :)

grab the whole screen - grab the current window - select area to grab
grab after a delay of *** seconds - include pointer/or not

+++

Finston Pickle

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:45:48 pm

That .png format gave me posting difficulties (Too large a file) - far bigger then a .jpg

Print screen does not work on either my Zorin 9 or 12 laptop (on its own).

I find Screenshot works well with Zorin 12, but I can't remember where I found it - I think it saves to .jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52:31 pm

Somebody corrected me on here as I was not aware you could change to .jpg in the file name. I've converted to the best there is as per Wolfman's advice on earlier releases - nothing bears Shutter as you can set screen/window/selection grabs by editing preferences to save as .jpg and forget! ;) :D

MSXManiac

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:12:59 am

As I mentioned earlier, not only occurs in the clean installation, but also in the iso image performed in live mode. When you press the PrintScreen key, the screen will blink and you hear the characteristic sound of a shutter, but nothing is copied to the transfer. Even when I try to paste in GIMP, a box opens stating that it has no images on the clipboard.
I hope someone from Zorin's team provides a way to correct this error, even if it needs to be Artyom itself!

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44:23 am

MSXManiac wrote:As I mentioned earlier, not only occurs in the clean installation, but also in the iso image performed in live mode. When you press the PrintScreen key, the screen will blink and you hear the characteristic sound of a shutter, but nothing is copied to the transfer. Even when I try to paste in GIMP, a box opens stating that it has no images on the clipboard.
I hope someone from Zorin's team provides a way to correct this error, even if it needs to be Artyom itself!

Screenshot is a Gnome application: it has nothing to do with team Zorin.

MSXManiac

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:05:50 am

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
So why all this forum structure?
Let's see if I understand your point of view.
Zorin is a respin from Ubuntu. Have everyone complain to Cannonical.
Zorin plus Ubuntu respin is done on top of the Gnome Desktop Environment. Have everyone complain with the Gnome Project!
I definitely believe that's not how it works .....
In Gnome this work. In Ubuntu 16.04 with Gnome its works. In Zorin 12.2 based on Ubuntu 16.04 over Gnome DE it is not working.
Now if the business is to make a respin and if something goes wrong send the user to complain to the others .....
Either you are very much mistaken or I have chosen the wrong distribution.
I'm sharing a problem. I doubt it's only happening to me.
Remembering that Zorin has paid users as well and that they may also be affected by the same problem.
Now if the vision here is that "the user who screwed up" and "go complaining to others", I'm going out ....

MSXManiac

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:48:55 am

And to add a important information that maybe it's a clue....
I install Gnome-Flashback session on Zorin.
Using the Gnome-Flashback session gnome-screenshot works like a charm.
Open a dialog box to choose save or copy to clipboard.
In Zorin Desktop session it won't work. Nothing happens.

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:18:37 am

why your focus on the Prt Sc? the program 'screeenshot' lets you either 'save' or 'copy to clipboard'
a simple standard CTRL+V allows you insert elsewhere.

++

MSXManiac

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13:21 am

Read you my post?
I said that gnome-screenshot not working properly on Zorin 12.2 even running a live session.
If you want to take a snapshot of the screen or part of it you have this feature that was present in the latest versions of Zorin and that for some reason is not working in this particular.
We have a bug.
And it's not in Gnome DE.
If some people still do not know, Zorin uses the gnome-panel and a series of Gnome plugins to have their appearance and functionality as close as possible to Windows.
There is an error in some customization that does not correctly configure the action of pressing the PrtScr key in transferring the contents of the screen to the clipboard.
And I'm reporting this bug and asking if anyone knows how to get a workround or maybe fix it.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:27:20 pm

MSXManiac wrote:You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
So why all this forum structure?
Let's see if I understand your point of view.
Zorin is a respin from Ubuntu. Have everyone complain to Cannonical.
Zorin plus Ubuntu respin is done on top of the Gnome Desktop Environment. Have everyone complain with the Gnome Project!
I definitely believe that's not how it works .....
In Gnome this work. In Ubuntu 16.04 with Gnome its works. In Zorin 12.2 based on Ubuntu 16.04 over Gnome DE it is not working.
Now if the business is to make a respin and if something goes wrong send the user to complain to the others .....
Either you are very much mistaken or I have chosen the wrong distribution.
I'm sharing a problem. I doubt it's only happening to me.
Remembering that Zorin has paid users as well and that they may also be affected by the same problem.
Now if the vision here is that "the user who screwed up" and "go complaining to others", I'm going out ....

That is up to you friend. All I was pointing out is that the application was Gnome. Also bear in mind forks of any major distribution have to ensure stability across the major part of the desktop. I will raise this thread with the Devs. Most people these days want greater flexibility and let's be honest, most Windows users prefer to use the mouse and GUI instead of keyboard shortcuts. M$ had to play catchup with Shutter in the form of Snipping Tool which isn't as versatile. ;) :D

[Just a reminder that Zorin has done a great job overall as the Dev team is just the Zorin brothers plus two full-time developers!]

ian4238

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:45:14 am

Referring to Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate (XFCE): I came across this discussion when I tried to use Screenshot to save a page to the clipboard, and then tried to paste it into LibreOffice Writer. There was nothing there.
Subsequently I tried using PrtSc on its own, and it made the old camera noise and saved the page to my Pictures folder with no trouble.
I then tried Clipboard & Paste into Free Office Textmaker, and it worked perfectly. So the problem seems to be between Zorin Lite and LibreOffice.

I also checked with my Zorin 12 Ultimate, and found that using PrtSc alone it saved the page OK, and using Screenshot from the menu it also worked. But that is on my recycled Dell PCs, which have no fancy hardware. They generally work very well with Zorin.
I hope Zorin Team read this and look into the Lite problem.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:16:34 pm

ian4238 wrote:Referring to Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate (XFCE): I came across this discussion when I tried to use Screenshot to save a page to the clipboard, and then tried to paste it into LibreOffice Writer. There was nothing there.
Subsequently I tried using PrtSc on its own, and it made the old camera noise and saved the page to my Pictures folder with no trouble.
I then tried Clipboard & Paste into Free Office Textmaker, and it worked perfectly. So the problem seems to be between Zorin Lite and LibreOffice.

I also checked with my Zorin 12 Ultimate, and found that using PrtSc alone it saved the page OK, and using Screenshot from the menu it also worked. But that is on my recycled Dell PCs, which have no fancy hardware. They generally work very well with Zorin.
I hope Zorin Team read this and look into the Lite problem.

Hi, have already PMd Artyom with a link to this thread so after they have had a well deserved rest they will hopefully look at the issue in the New Year. ;) :D

AZorin

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02:40 pm

Hi everyone, hope you all had a Happy Christmas!

The default behaviour of Screenshot app is to save the picture to your "Pictures" folder (or give you the option to do so), and doesn't automatically copy it to the clipboard. You can press Ctrl+Print Screen to automatically copy the image to the clipboard in the Gnome Shell-powered versions of Zorin OS.

Alternatively, you can change this shortcut by opening the Zorin menu > Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screenshot, where you can swap the shortcuts for 'Save to Pictures' and 'Copy to clipboard'.
In Zorin OS Lite, you will need to scroll to the bottom of the Keyboard Shortcuts until you find the "xfce4-screenshooter" command shortcuts ("-f" means fullscreen and "-w" means window). Select the command you wish to change and click "Edit" to add the letter "c" to the end of the command (to automatically copy the image to the clipboard) so the command reads "xfce4-screenshooter -fc".

The .png file format is used by default as it doesn't reduce the quality of the image (it's a lossless file format). You can, however, change the file name ending to ".jpg" to save the image as a JPEG with compression.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25:16 pm

Many thanks Artyom for clearing this up. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:43:22 pm

I agree - use screenshot.

I never get too bogged down in things once I have found a "workaround".

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01:40 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I agree - use screenshot.

I never get too bogged down in things once I have found a "workaround".

Hi Finston,

Some people need PrtScr if they are writing documentation to paste from the clipboard - Artyom has explained how to do this change for those who need it. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33:05 pm

inclined to say 'I told you so'
never mind and have a fine Zorin ulitimate user experience in 2018
:)

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:25:20 am

zorinantwerp wrote:inclined to say 'I told you so'...

That's too much like the M$ way - 2/3 steps when one key will suffice. :lol: