This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Activities Hotcorner Activation -- how to?

critter

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:32:50 am

Hey guys, Just updated from Zorin 8 or maybe 9..the one based on 14.04 LTS (clean install of the newest). I'm really enjoying it thus far...

My question is, how to get the top left corner to trigger Activities as normal as opposed to the current window switcher? (or whatever that it's doing). Using the Gnome layout just isn't the same without that.

Thanks
Dave

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:16:47 am

Hi Dave

I'm unsure on your question - is that what you are looking for (top left)
you can tweak desktop under 'zorin appearance' see all settings (Zorin Ultimate version)

tks for commenting further :)

critter

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56:08 am

Hiya Zorinantwerp,
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I'm currently running gnome-shell as pictured in your post. When I take the mouse up to what is normally the activities hotcorner activation, it doesn't activate as it would in normal gnome-shell but rather swaps windows. I can click on activities and it functions normally, but the "sling the mouse to the upper left" doesn't activate the activities overview. My last version was Ultimate (ran it for like 4 years), this one isn't (waiting for the upcoming 18.04 version).. In Zorin Appearance I don't see anything related to hotcorner under Desktop (or under any other tab) -- just Layout, Icons, and Interface with the latter having only "Titlebar Buttons" and "Animations"

I appreciate the assistance.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:47:56 pm

Hi, Zorin does not have hot corners. The last distribution I used that had that function was PearOS. Gnome shell is a different beast altogether. ;) :D

critter

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19:49 pm

Hi Swarfendor,
There is definitely a hotcorner currently active. It switches between the current window and the last window (I think that's what it's doing.. it's definitely switching active windows). Anyway, the standard Gnome-shell behavior is having mouse to top left activate the Activities overview. It's simply doing something else at the moment and I'd like to set it back to default gnome-shell behavior. There has to be a reset for this *somewhere* because the dev(s) had to intentionally make the change to enable this window switching behavior (unless it's a bug, which seems doubtful). I haven't installed any extensions that would cause this (weather, caffeine.. that's it) - the rest are what came with Zorin. Plus even with extensions deactivated, the window swapping behavior exists. I didn't see anything related in dconf editor either. Found a setting in org.gnome.shell but checking/unchecking/reboot had no effect.

LoL.. this has to be something simple that i'm just flat missing.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:27:23 pm

Hi, I will PM Team Zorin. It could be a line of code as in PrtScr:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13603&start=10#p59504

IF you get my drift. ;)

Please be patient. Devs need a break too!

critter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14:14 am

No way! no breaks! :o

Yeah, just some unexpected behavior in the shell theme/look. I don't think it's Activities Apocalypse or the end of the planet as we know it (though you never really know.. devs are kinda sneaky) :twisted:

Thanks for the assistance and forwarding the note. :D

zorinantwerp

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:33:29 pm

as far I got