This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Post install queries

zordkhan

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55:06 pm

This might be off-topic - sorry - but I cannot see where else to ask this question, I can't find a "post new thread" button.

I have downloaded and installed Zorin 12 ultimate and want to download a few other programs. Firefox and Thunderbird can be downloaded through the software manager and they install smoothly. But I also want to use Wordfast, which has a Linux version but downloads into the download folder. It seems really messy to keep downloaded applications in the download folder (Although they do install and function fine from there).

I have tried moving the gz folders to /usr/bin before extracting them, but I get "permission denied". Where should the applications live? and how can I make them visible in the Zorin menu, or create panel shortcuts for them?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:34:00 pm

Please be advised that posting in the wrong section can initially lead to a temporary ban. Continual mis-posting when you could start a new thread in Help and Support will lead to a permanent ban. I will answer in due course.

zorinantwerp

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08:29 am

You need elevated privileges to copy into /usr/bin
goto Terminal
Code:
sudo chmod 77 /usr/bin/

as tested out

on shortcuts go to your menu and see submenu with your mouse to select either
add to panel
add to desktop
as to favourites

hope it will answer your concerns

+++

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:44:54 pm

zordkhan wrote:This might be off-topic - sorry - but I cannot see where else to ask this question, I can't find a "post new thread" button.

I have downloaded and installed Zorin 12 ultimate and want to download a few other programs. Firefox and Thunderbird can be downloaded through the software manager and they install smoothly. But I also want to use Wordfast, which has a Linux version but downloads into the download folder. It seems really messy to keep downloaded applications in the download folder (Although they do install and function fine from there).

I have tried moving the gz folders to /usr/bin before extracting them, but I get "permission denied". Where should the applications live? and how can I make them visible in the Zorin menu, or create panel shortcuts for them?

Thanks.

In respect of starting a new thread, the forum uses a 'New Topic' button. As you have posted 4 times previously I can't see how this has suddenly changed for you.

There is a very good reason why Tarballs are downloaded to the Download folder:

1. It is the logical place for downloads.
2. You should inspect tarballs for any miscreant code that might be present - there was an instance where a 'theme' called 'Ubundows' on gnome-look.org that was never checked for miscreant code by the host web admins of gnome-look.org - it contained unix commands that upon opening the tarball would wipe the drive of everything!

See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12462&p=55425&hilit=Blackwolf#p55425

As for getting the programs to show up in the menu, you will need to install 'Alacarte' the Menu Editor which is relatively straight-forward to use - to pin to your favourites (this is the bottom panel where 'favo(u)rites' are stored to the right of the 'Z' menu button), first launch the application from a Terminal so for example, open a Terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter Wordfast - it should launch and show an applet on the bottom panel - right-click this and select 'add to favourites'. Once you have your menu sorted you can right click and choose from a number of options including - add shortcut to desktop/ to favourites. ;) :D

zordkhan

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42:49 pm

Thank you both! My learning curve seems to be really steep.