This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Start menu disappeared

mushfiq.faysal

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:53:47 am

My start menu has disappeared but wow, thats not only one problem. When i come to login screen, the fonts and windows become very large and i have to press my keyboard really hard as feel like i am manually entering those characters in for the password.

yes, its all updated.

So anything else there i can do? plz let me know asap.

Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:27:28 am

If you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card; you can install the drivers via > Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers

Regards Wolfman :D

mushfiq.faysal

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40:18 am

Thanks Wolfman, yeah, but the problem is as i lost the start menu bar, i dont find any other way to access the control center. Any help how to get back the start menu bar?

thanks.

Deadly Ernest

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56:46 am

G'day,

Can you access the desktop itself? If so, right click the mouse on the desktop, select 'Create a Folder' and create a folder - if you have a folder on the desktop you can skip this. Once you have a folder on the desktop. open it up in File Manager view.

On the left should be a list of all the areas you can access with file manager. Click on the one that says 'Root' then select the folder 'usr' within that choose the folder 'share' and inside that go to the folder 'applications' this will open a folder full of icons with various name and the extension .desktop - go through it until you reach the file 'gnomecc.desktop' - click on that and the Control Center will start and open up for you. The same will happen for all the other applications that have icons in there. The fun is finding out what some of the odd names actually open up.

I've been using this method for the last 9 hours while fighting with an install problem to do with the initramfs. Using this to open Firefox has been life saver.

Regards,

Ernest

mushfiq.faysal

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:19:26 pm

Hey ernest, Thanks for your tips mate. yeah, i can access file manager view but there is no 'root'. Anyway, i think this problem, it has something to do with my graphics card, so i ran Zorin with recovery mood with low graphics enabled. With the low graphics system, the start menu came back and then i just copied all my necessary applications onto my desktop and now im running those application with normal graphics but without the start menu bar. Its very annoying though.

Cheers.
Mush

mushfiq.faysal

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25:31 pm

does not work bro.. :(

mushfiq.faysal

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26:08 pm

plz help someone

Wolfman

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:17:51 am

Hi,

when you start your PC, go into recovery mode and select "dpkg" from the list, let it do its thing then restart the PC, it should solve it!!.

mushfiq.faysal

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57:19 pm

I already tried that mate. doesn't work. should I install the whole thing again?

Wolfman

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:24:38 pm

mushfiq.faysal wrote:I already tried that mate. doesn't work. should I install the whole thing again?

Possibly, but maybe you can try this first:

gconftool – -recursive-unset /apps/panel

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

pkill gnome-panel

Open a terminal with ctrl + alt + t (or alt + t I can't remember which, I am on a Windows PC at the mo!) and copy those commands (one after the other!) into the terminal and see if that helps.

If it doesn't help, did you burn the ISO at slowest speed and if not, re-burn it at the slowest speed possible and re-install !!.

mushfiq.faysal

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:58:20 pm

@ Swarfendor437, yeah , its about 430 gigs free now and the total hard drive is 650 gigs, its not dual boot, i replaced my windows 7 with Zorin, and finally the version..umm..I dont know how to see which version it is, i always keep it updated but this may help-- GNU GRUB version 1.99 ~ rcl-13 ubuntu3 and then there are 4 or 5 options which i am running the ''UBUNTU, with linux 2.6.38-13-generic'' version.

Hope this help and I appreciate your help mate. thanks.

mushfiq.faysal

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05:53 pm

@Wolfman, Yeah i guess its ctrl+alt+t, but the terminal is not comming up with that here. is there any other way to open the terminal? and yeah, i burnt it with the slowest rate and it is okay ( I tried it with 2 other computers too). I think its a problem with the packages because one of them i saw did not install properly. I think i need to install the whole thing again.

Anyway, thanks for your help mate. appreciate it mate.

Deadly Ernest

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15:36 am

G'day,

I had the same problem occur, but I was OK once I got rid of the special supply video drivers and dropped back to the default system graphics drivers. I also had to go through the Look Changer process, away from what I had to another look, bar returned, and back again. To be safe, I rebooted between each system change. This may or may not work for you too.

BTW: I checked, and found the display of the Root folder on the left is part of Dolphin and not the standard Nautalis set up, which is why I had it and you didn't.

Regards,

Ernest

Wolfman

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:07:12 am

Hi mushfiq,

when you are pressing "ctrl+alt+t", you are doing it on an empty desktop aren't you, what I mean by that is, there are no other windows open!!, if there are, that command won't work!!.

You can try dropping to a shell and posting those commands I gave you earlier!!.

"ctrl+alt+F2" which will take you to a more or less blank screen and you will see the prompt, type "xkill" which will kill the "X" window and then login with user name and password then run those commands one after the other, once that is done, you can restart X with the "startx" command.

I think that is it???.

Regards and Merry Xmas. :D

Wolfman :D

mushfiq.faysal

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37:16 am

I will re-install it. easy peasy. Thanks guys and you all have a great Merry Xmas! Enjoy! :D

ooseven

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:49:19 am

mushfiq.faysal wrote:I already tried that mate. doesn't work. should I install the whole thing again?

Some times it is the easiest way if fixing things :)

ooseven

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:56:27 am

It is always good to get to know your system, but that means reinstalling is a
must some times :|

Linx

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:20:50 am

Have you tried right clicking on your desktop and clicking add new panel
then right click on the panel and click on add to panel
go down the list and find Menu Bar (A custom menu bar)

click on system > preferences > look changer > Windows 7 > ok
then reboot

mushfiq.faysal

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:30:21 am

Thanks mate, but already re-installed it. Ty!

Linx

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10:25 am

can you right click on the background do you get a menu to come up ?

if so do the following

click add panel
right click on panel > click add to panel
click Menu Bar ( A custom menu bar)

then click System > Preferences > Look changer > windows 7 > ok
reboot

try that =] let us know how it goes

jenniferjer

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55:29 pm

Hello,
the same problem happened to me and I just fixed it! at the bottom on the toolbar panal (the bar you normally find your start menu) go to it. you'll want to right click. select +add to panal. scroll down til you find what items you want to add. the start menu is the Zorin Icon. the one that your used to is the one that says Main Menu, Main GNOME Menu. select add. and that's it. the clock option and a few other panal additions can be found this way too. Cheers! Jennifer

xblade724

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:59:03 am

click on system > preferences > look changer > Windows 7 > ok
then reboot

This actually fixed the issue. No need for even a reboot.