This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chromium won't forward a link via Email Zorin 12.2

bbr360z

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:52:43 pm

Unable to forward a link using Chromium browser with Geary 0.12.0 mail on Zorin 12.2.

Installed Firefox and have same results with same error.

Geary is my default mail app.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34:45 pm

OK, I decided to try Firefox and forgot I had setup Claws Mail as default mail client and that worked. Created account in Geary and that worked to. :?

Have you checked your default applications settings?:

Default Applications.jpg

bbr360z

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38:19 pm

Yes defaults are set correctly.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11:33 pm

OK, guess there might be something corrupt somwhere. If Zorin is the only OS on your machine you won't automatically see GRUB at boot you have to press the left shift key on boot time to see GRUB - choose the second menu item and choose the recovery option. From the subsequent menu (and be sure you have internet connection, so if wireless, use ethernet to ensure connection) and select DPKG. If it finds any updates, let it run, once complete, shut down - don't select 'Continue'. Then boot up and see if it makes any difference. Failing that it may need a reinstall - Like I said in my post, I don't have any such issue with Firefox and Geary. Before I forget, make sure your Software download location is set to 'Main Server' for updates. ;) :D

bbr360z

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:02:28 pm

Followed instructions and still having same results.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01:51 pm

OK, have you completed with a full update since changing to Main Server? ;)

Just tried sending link using Chromium and Geary, no issues - all I can think is that somewhere down the line the install must have got corrupted. Did you check the md5sum/sha hash key after downloading the iso?

bbr360z

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23:31 am

Yes, it was correct.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:13:32 pm

OK, I am at a loss on this one friend. All I can suggest at this point is backup any crucial email messages, go to Software, Go to 'Installed' and remove Geary and install again. Also use the Zorin Web Chooser Manager, remove Chromium and reinstall it. If you have any specific profiles you need to keep for Chromium and Geary, backup .geary and .chromium - these folders are usually hidden in your Home folder - press Ctrl+ H to make them shown - Ctrl+ H to hide again. Keep us posted.

bbr360z

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:05:35 pm

I have restalled the complete Zorin package with same results. When I try to forward something it looks like the browser can't find the default mail app. Is the actual name Geary or is it something else? Is there away to make sure Geary is in the proper search chain for he browser to pick it up??

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:42:17 am

Geary is the name of the default mail client - you could of course install Thunderbird if you preferred, but would need to make sure it was the 'default' app for Mail. ;) :D

bbr360z

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28:14 pm

Can you help me create a link to see if it corrects the problem?
See 'https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-October/029334.html'

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36:35 pm

bbr360z wrote:Can you help me create a link to see if it corrects the problem?
See 'https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-October/029334.html'

So are you using Zorin Lite? I was under the impression you were using Core as you did not mention Lite in your OP.

bbr360z

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:00:10 pm

Originally I installed light but when I reinstalled everything I bought Zorin OS 12.2 Lite Ultimate. Both light and ultimate have the same issue. When I search on the error I get the same error as in the link supplied. Not sure if adding a hard link will correct but the solution for the error suggested it.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29:44 am

Hi, Please be patient - I am currently downloading 12.3 Ultimate so I can see for myself. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13:28 pm

Aggravating issue indeed but wonder why you are not using a gmail account. kiss :)

+++

bbr360z

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:13:12 pm

I do have a Gmail account setup unless I did it wrong.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:41:40 pm

Hi, I am getting this error in Zorin Lite when using Geary as the mail client:

Failed to execute default Mail reader.png
Failed to execute default Mail reader.png (8.25 KiB)

However, if I use Mozilla Thunderbird (which has to be installed from the Software Channel) as the default mail client, I get no such errors. ;) :D

Preferred Mail reader.png

bbr360z

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05:47 pm

Do you use a Thunderbird account or some other account?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38:54 pm

Thunderbird is a mail client - I use a sub account of my main ISP account. But you should be able to configure gmail with it - you just need to know the imap/pop3 and smtp settings.

http://pop2imap.com/thunderbird-gmail.php

I only have a gmail account as it is needed for:

a. android app installs on mobile

b. Google docs

Otherwise I would have stayed well clear from the world's biggest data miner.

bbr360z

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41:08 pm

Have Thunderbird installed with Google account. Still can not forward a link in Firefox. Get same error as before. Have Thunderbird and Firefox set as defalt.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46:58 pm

Is this with the GMail account? and is it now in Core?

bbr360z

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44:44 am

Google and 12.2 ultimate. When you refer to core can you elaborate.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36:00 pm

bbr360z wrote:Google and 12.2 ultimate. When you refer to core can you elaborate.

Hi, Ultimate (cf. Lite Ultimate) is based on Core but has a plethora of packages and uses the Gnome Shell, whereas Lite uses xfce. When you say 'Google' do you mean 'gmail'? Have you set up your gmail account in Thunderbird as I last posted? :)

bbr360z

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42:09 pm

Yes, I setup Google Email in Thunderbrid.

bbr360z

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:48:53 pm

OK here is the latest. Installed all updates. When I went to reboot (Zorin with Linux 4.13.0.39 Generic) I got a screen that was 3/4 black and 1/4 blue and was unable to continue (I could do a reboot and select recovery if need be). Went back to the loader and selected (Zorin with Linux 4.13.0.36 Generic) and was able to boot. I then started Thunderbird and this time it ask me If I wanted it to be the default mail system (which I had already updated the system options for it to be the default). Under this boot the forward link works in Firefox. Now I need to figure out how to correct the boot to get the latest version to work.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36:58 pm

bbr360z wrote:OK here is the latest. Installed all updates. When I went to reboot (Zorin with Linux 4.13.0.39 Generic) I got a screen that was 3/4 black and 1/4 blue and was unable to continue (I could do a reboot and select recovery if need be). Went back to the loader and selected (Zorin with Linux 4.13.0.36 Generic) and was able to boot. I then started Thunderbird and this time it ask me If I wanted it to be the default mail system (which I had already updated the system options for it to be the default). Under this boot the forward link works in Firefox. Now I need to figure out how to correct the boot to get the latest version to work.

Some progress then - can you please start another thread regarding the update issue and most importantly:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

;) :D

bbr360z

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08:37 pm

I had a thread about the update issue and the screen size which is now closed. The work around on that thread was to close the pc cover then open it and then the correct screen was then displayed. Please see it under my id.

This same solution still works but just causes a small delay. What info do I need to get to open the thread?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:51:18 pm

I have re-opened it and done some more searching - have posted my findings - it IS a kernel bug as I suspected - 4.13 being the culprit. ;) :(